• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop: Icon workflow issue (set up & export)

New Here ,
Jan 25, 2017 Jan 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone!

I am close to losing my mind about the following set up issue while trying to create an icon set template for my company:

There is an icon set, consisting of two layers:

1) just the basic black symbols

2) the background

The goal is to be able to:

- group icons in folders to apply layer styles to all icons at the same time

- quickly scale the icons according to the requirements of upcoming icon sets

- change all backgrounds at once

- export all icons at once while keeping the single file names consistent for each icon set

As this is going to be a template, also provided to freelancers, i want to keep it as self-explanatory as possible and to avoid complicated batch loops.

To fulfill all of the goals mentioned above, I tried the following methods so far:

# One single workspace:

Having all icons layered upon each other and only one background layer brings me close but doesn't allow me to quick-export the layers with their file names, as i can't export the icon + the background at the same time.

# Artboards:

Focusing on export, this is perfect. Setup: 1 artboard per icon, created and copied a smart object for the background layer in order to change all backgrounds with a single modification. Big disadvantages for the workflow: The icons can't be grouped anymore, so instantly applying a style to all icons in the foreground is impossible. Also the scaling lacks of comfort, as i have to scale every icon on its own (if i don't want to change the scaling of the background).

# Slices:

Quite similar to the artboard method, with the advantage of grouping items, thus applying styles to all icons with one click. With the limitation of gradients: Still i can't apply gradients to a group as the gradient area will always refer to the whole workspace. Still the same issues about scaling all items at once.

So this is where i am, stuck.

Could anyone please save my day with an idea?

Thx, Tobias

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 25, 2017 Jan 25, 2017

Have you tried option 1 but with layer comps? It sounds like it would achieve what you want

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried option 1 but with layer comps? It sounds like it would achieve what you want

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dave!

1) No, i haven't

2) Now I have

3) You saved my day!

Thanks a lot!!

Tobias

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You're welcome

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines