• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Question about opening files and zooming with + / - in CC.

Jan 24, 2017 Jan 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greetings. Two related issues, if I may:  When I open a PS file on my iMac (Sierra 10.12.2), it appears as a tiny, zoomed-out window lost on the desktop.  I'd like to fill the desktop more, when I open a file.   ...Related, I constantly use the + and - keys to zoom in and out.  Currently, the image zooms, but the file window doesn't resize with the zoom action; In other words, I have to drag the corner of the window to see the entire, zoomed image.

Is there any way to get the margin (and rulers) to enlarge, along with the zoomed content shown within the window?

Any thoughts appreciated....I've searched Preferences but see no control for the above.

PN

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Go to the zoom tool

Then in the options bar check Resize Windows to fit

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, but that did not work, Dave.  The image is still zooming but the window is not. (The window adopts a letterbox shape, while the image itself zooms.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It does seem there may be a Preferences issue, since what you are describing does not seem normal behavior.

Here's how to reset:

Reset Prefs CC 2015.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 25, 2017 Jan 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Gener7.  I tried the Reset.  It seemed that the "letterbox-shaped" zoom window was persisting.  But while testing things, something happened:  Now, windows open to be the size of around one pixel, me having to zoom out by hitting the + key a hundred times.  Obviously I've inadvertently set "something" wrong.   Any ideas what that might be, with this new clue?

(Dave above talks about checking Resize Windows to Fit.  This seems to have no effect anything.)

With thanks,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PS:  I've done the Reset Preferences On Quit a second time.  Things seemed to work okay, the letterbox effect gone.  However, after 10 minutes, things reverted to the "one pixel" size window when opening any window.  I didn't inadvertently play with any settings.  One minute, files were opening normally, the next, they are opening to pixel size.  Bizarre.  I wonder if I should do a fresh install of Photoshop.  (Though I'm unsure how to Uninstall the current one.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello!

I wonder about the size of the images you have.

Here is a way to have all newly opened images fit to screen.

Open an image, then open the Action panel, Windows>Action create a new action set, and a new action, name it Fit, for instance, and go the flyout menu of that panel, select Insert Menu Item, then go to the View menu, and select "Fit on Screen"

You can click stop on your action panel.

(this created an action that will maximize a document)

Now, go to File>Scripts>Scripts Events Manager you now need to select the Enable button, and select "Open Document" next to Photoshop event, click on the "Action" radio button, and select your action set, then your Fit action. Click Add, then Done

From now on, each time you open a document, Photoshop will fit it on screen! (I had to create it for a colleague that never zooms in open documents, and the customers have to squint on his screen...)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines