• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Non-printing layers printing

Participant ,
Jan 23, 2017 Jan 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having trouble with layers set to non-printing when printing or making a PDF. Whatever I do (short of deleting them) they still seem to appear, I've tried changing the settings in the print dialog box/PDF dialog box from visible to visible and printable, nothing seems to work. Is this a glitch?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How are you setting Non-printing? In the Attributes panel? In the Layers panel? Show us a screen capture.

Also tell us what version of InDesign you're using, and your operating system, thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I should've been more specific. I'm setting it using the layers panel, I'm using InDesign CC 2015 and I'm on Mac OS Sierra. I should also state that the stuff on the non-printing layer is exclusively coloured text boxes and while it prints the coloured box, it doesn't print the text. I'll get a screenshot if you still need it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, screen captures would be helpful (InDesign and PDF) because I haven't heard of this causing a problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With which application do you open the exported PDF? Only Adobe Acrobat can show all PDFs properly, some other applications show hidden layers.

Do you distinguish between hidden and not printing? Hidden will export any layer in some PDF settings but switch it off only.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How are you setting the items to be non-printing? Are you setting the Layer to Not to Print or the object using the Attributes panel?

This can make a difference

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One more thing. Do you have "Make Acrobat Layers" checked? If so, turn it off and see if that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 25, 2017 Jan 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I changed no settings whatsoever and it stopped doing it, my InDesign is very temperamental it seems.

I still have the broken PDF though so here are screenshots, I think it's almost certainly a glitch though

InDesign File

Screen Shot 2017-01-25 at 10.35.43.png

PDF

Screen Shot 2017-01-25 at 10.38.16.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since this is about the PDF app please confirm the app used to open the PDF, including version. Don't ASSUME it is Acrobat, read the app name.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah yes sorry, it is indeed 'Adobe Acrobat'.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does the Acrobat layers palette show the original layers you created, and does making them invisible inside Acrobat show the result you expect?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also I'm not sure it is necessarily about Acrobat, I've tried opening the file in other programmes, Illustrator, Photoshop etc, and the type isn't there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't open in those other programs! No guarantee they know anything about layers. Please tell us what you see in the layers palette in Acrobat. If you don't know how to show it, just let us know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The layers palette doesn't show the original layers I created because I didn't ask it to create individual layers? I don't see how this would help the situation though? Annoyingly I can't try it again because the error isn't happening now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah... So you want this to be a design-time thing rather than a thing that remains in the PDF... I'll leave that to others who know InDesign better then. But I notice a reference to printing to PDF. The consensus is, for InDesign ... NEVER do that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Never create a PDF to print?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No that's not what I said. PDF is recommended for printing.  Never create a PDF file from InDesign by printing to the Adobe PDF printer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh sorry, I realised my original post is slightly confusing. It should say 'I'm having trouble with layers set to non-printing when printing from InDesign or making a PDF'

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Got it, thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're exporting to PDF from InDesign, make sure you don't select "Export Layers: All" under the options section as this will show non printing layers in your PDF.

Screen Shot 2017-01-25 at 4.55.25 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It had been set to visible & printable, thanks for the suggestion though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines