Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Image quality poor when saving from Lightroom

Community Beginner ,
Jan 25, 2017 Jan 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all

I'm a novice in both photography and the Adobe products but am fast becoming addicted.  Anyway, I have noticed that when I save my crisp, edited images from Lightroom, the quality of the image drops dramatically.  I'm attaching a screen shot of both the Lightroom image as I would like it to appear and the saved version plus my save settings.  Many thanks for your help with this newbie.  - Melissa

Screen Shot 2017-01-25 at 13.14.54.png

Screen Shot 2017-01-25 at 13.19.25.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 25, 2017 Jan 25, 2017

melking_1978 wrote:

Yes correct. I'm not using any software to open the image, just double clicking on the jpeg image I've saved to my Mac desktop.

You are using software in that case. You are using Apple's preview. It is fully color managed but uses a different scaling algorithm to scale down large images to the much lower resolution of your display than Lightroom does. This will make images appear much softer than they looked in Lightroom. If you export in 16 bit tiff, your images will be very

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I assume the right hand image is in Lightroom, and the left hand image is after you do an Export from Lightroom. Is that correct?

Please tell me what software you are using to view the photo outside of Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes correct.  I'm  not using any software to open the image, just double clicking on the jpeg image I've saved to my Mac desktop. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

melking_1978 wrote:

Yes correct. I'm not using any software to open the image, just double clicking on the jpeg image I've saved to my Mac desktop.

You are using software in that case. You are using Apple's preview. It is fully color managed but uses a different scaling algorithm to scale down large images to the much lower resolution of your display than Lightroom does. This will make images appear much softer than they looked in Lightroom. If you export in 16 bit tiff, your images will be very close to identical to what you have  inside Lightroom. What you should try is to actually scale down to a much lower resolution sRGB jpeg (say 800 pixels on the long side) and to use output sharpening. You'll see it will look very crisp.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks so much.  It seems to have worked! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mac or Windows? What version?

Which exact version of Lightroom?

What image viewer are you using? Is it color managed?

Saving the color space as sRGB might be better depending on your usage.

Turning on the output sharpening is usually required for good results.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's version Lightroom 5, on a MacBook Air.  Not sure what you mean by image viewer...  I'm literally just double clicking in my image which is saved on my desktop.  Is this where I'm going wrong??  Thanks, appreciate the help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Export with color space set to sRGB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To do a valid comparison you have view both images at 1:1 (100%) view, where on image pixel is represented by one screen pixel.

Different applications use different smoothing and sharpening algtorithms when scaling the image, resulting in an apparent difference in sharpness.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When exporting the way you did, with no image resizing and no output sharpening, the images should be equally sharp when viewed at 1:1.

But there is a slight tonal difference between the images, which could be due to the Adobe RGB profile.

As others have suggested, try using the sRGB profile instead.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines