Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Data Merge: One record per page

New Here ,
Jan 25, 2017 Jan 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

As part of my job at work I create scientific abstract books that display research submitted by delegates attending the conferences we organise. So far I have manually inputted all information using copy and paste from excel files. The pages generally look like the image below. The abstracts are collated in excel first and I was hoping that it would be possible to data merge. The only examples of data merge i have seen are for multiple records per page however I would like each abstract (with the name, co-author, institution, title and abstract) to appear on separate pages. Is this possible and if so how?

Screen Shot 2017-01-25 at 09.05.09.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 25, 2017 Jan 25, 2017

InDesign can absolutely do one record per page - if fact that is its default until a user changes it.

All of your records would need to be lines on the same Excel sheet, and since your green headlines are of varying numbers of lines, for best results you would need to put the placeholder for that header and and the placeholder for the body text into the same text box on the page.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign can absolutely do one record per page - if fact that is its default until a user changes it.

All of your records would need to be lines on the same Excel sheet, and since your green headlines are of varying numbers of lines, for best results you would need to put the placeholder for that header and and the placeholder for the body text into the same text box on the page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fantastic, thank you, worked fine. One issue i am having is that if there is a paragraph break within the Excel sheet, when you come to merge the document it pushes each line on to a new page. Other than using find/change, is there something you can get InDesign to do prior tot he merge to ignore the breaks?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have not found any way to get InDesign to ignore line breaks from Excel - My only fix was to go into Excel and get rid of the breaks. 

If you need them to be there in your final document, you can replace the in Excel with some sort of placeholder character that is not used elsewhere in your document, and then use find/replace to put them back after the merge.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, sounds reasonable, thank you very much for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 16, 2018 Mar 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

There is a macro that can be used in Excel to fix line breaks - I use this on my Mac to fix databases where line breaks are present.

Try adding the following macro to an Excel document and then run the macro from the macro sub-menu:

Sub RemoveCarriageReturns()

Dim MyRange As Range

Application.ScreenUpdating = False

Application.Calculation = xlCalculationManual

For Each MyRange In ActiveSheet.UsedRange

If 0 < InStr(MyRange, Chr(13)) Then

MyRange = Replace(MyRange, Chr(13), ", ")

End If

Next

Application.ScreenUpdating = True

Application.Calculation = xlCalculationAutomatic

End Sub

This will replace "soft returns" with a comma and a space.

If the answer wasn't in my post, perhaps it might be on my blog at colecandoo!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 15, 2018 Mar 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot seem to get one record per pages that are facing? I end up with a spread of the same record on both pages?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 16, 2018 Mar 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your starting document should have only one document page with one set of placeholders. Data Merge will generate the correct number of pages based on the number of records you are merging.  

You may need to change your document to facing pages after the merge is complete.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines