• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom catalog folder in "file" section not found

New Here ,
Jan 25, 2017 Jan 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am on a Windows 7 Home Premium PC and have Lightroom 4.1.  When I go into the Library File and click on "Open Catalog" I have no  "Lightroom folder" showing but "Adobe" shows and when clicking on that brings up "dynamiclinkmediaserver" followed by "6.0" and nothing else.  Should I be able to find the Lightroom folder in the file or be concerned?  When clicking on "open recent" the Lightroom 4 Catalog.lrcat appears.  In advance, thanks for any assistance.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jan 25, 2017 Jan 25, 2017

I doubt this represents anything wrong with the program itself, so re-installing will not help. It is simply pointing to the wrong place. Once you point Lightroom to the right place and select the catalog file, everything will work as you expect.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which Adobe products you have actually installed and which you have had installed in the past?

You can change the settings in Lightroom so the last opened catalog is open when LR is stated the next time.

To find the LR 4 catalog file you can use the search function of the Windows Explorer.

Regards

Axel

My System: Intel i7-8700K - 64GB RAM - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060 - Windows 10 Pro 22H2 -- LR-Classic 13.2 - Photoshop 25.6 - Nik Collection 6.9 - PureRAW 4 - Topaz Photo AI 2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I appreciate your reply.  I bought a disk (Lightroom 4) and installed it later upgrading to 4.4 version online.  I have tried to find the LR4 catalog in different places but can't find one as shown in  Marion Evening's book "Photoshop Lightroom 4".  If I go to c:\user\J\Pictures I do find a folder "LR Catalog Backup Previews.lrdata.  Nothing when going through Library>File>open catalog.  Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WHen you use the File->Open Catalog command, a navigator window opens, and you have to specifically navigate to the folder where your  catalog file is located. It sounds like it opens autmoatically to some other folder that contains dynamiclinkmediaserver and maybe other stuff, and you stop there ... don't stop there ... navigate to the folder where your catalog is and then select the catalog file and click on Open.

Alternative: use your operating system's search feature to find files whose name ends with .LRCAT and then double-click on each one found to open it in Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply.  When opening the file in library this is what shows: Adobe, Custom Office Templates, Fax, HP Photo Creations, Scanned Documents, Symantec, and You Cam.

As mentioned, as I click Adobe it goes to dynam...... then to 6.0 and then nothing else.  I entered .lrcat in the "search programs and files" section but drew a blank.

I was going to try a reinstall hoping this might clear things but the disk I have is for Lightroom 4 which I upgraded to 4.4 via online (not through a disk) years later.  Thanks for looking into my question.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When opening the file in library this is what shows: Adobe, Custom Office Templates, Fax, HP Photo Creations, Scanned Documents, Symantec, and You Cam.

Yes, it's clear that the dialog box opens to the WRONG folder.

You then have to Navigate to the RIGHT folder which contains your Catalog file. The default location is given here (where it referred to as the "Lightroom database file"), you have to use this dialog box to Navigate to the default location of your catalog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much for this information and I will try and use  the default location you have provided.  One other question: as the dialog box does not show the folder should I try and reinstall the program as other areas might be wrong?  And if so, how could I do that without a disk?  You have been very helpful and I thank you.

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I doubt this represents anything wrong with the program itself, so re-installing will not help. It is simply pointing to the wrong place. Once you point Lightroom to the right place and select the catalog file, everything will work as you expect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines