• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why does text disappear and how do I stop it from happening?

New Here ,
Jan 25, 2017 Jan 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was working with a PDF document using Acrobat Pro DC. I needed to respond to questions and place text in table cells. The "Fill and Sign" tool did not work with this document so I used the "Edit PDF>>Add Text" tool. I had no problem clicking on the pages (about 75 pages) and entering the text. I saved the document. Later I had to add more text and edit the text I had already added. Again there was no problem. The third time I needed to add or edit text I looked at my previous additions and half the text disappeared. The text box where the text had been was still there just was empty. Some of the text boxes still contained part of the text (e.g. in a City, State, Zip box the City and State disappeared but the Zip was still there).

Can anyone tell me why this happened and can I do anything to prevent this from happening again?

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you add any pages from a different document to this document? Did you merge two or more documents? If only seen this problem in these two cases, but that does not meant that adding text could not also trigger it. See here for a potential workaround:

Workaround for Missing Characters After Merging PDF Files

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your effort. That is quite a workaround, unfortunately unembedding/subsetting fonts did not seem to affect my missing text. Your response prompted me to try a few things, one of which does seem to work. If I return to the page with missing text, enter the "Edit Text" tool, and select all text boxes, I can click on the "Bold" icon and all the text reappears and of course turns bold. Clicking the icon again removes the bold but the text stays visible. I've tested it by saving the document and re-opening and the text is still visible. Unfortunately, the "Edit Text" tool only works on one page at a time. There may be a need for an Action script like the one you described.

Thanks, again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 22, 2022 Feb 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Karl,

I have a similar problem but I have not merged documents. I've created a document in MS Word and then used Acrobat Pro to create a pdf. For some reason the text around an icon I have in the Word document as no text around it! I have tried to use different text wrappings in Word but the pdf presents a similar result.

Have you heard of this before as the is a first for me?

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 17, 2023 Aug 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My text keeps deleting on its own 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 17, 2023 Aug 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How can I stop my text from deleting over and over

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 20, 2023 Aug 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Nevea31738779yb7k 

It would be nice if you could explain the whole scenario here. How are you entering text and when do you notice it's deleted?

Also, which Acrobat application is being used and where is your file located?

There's no such setting that would delete the text from Adobe PDF automatically. Its either not saving on doc or syncing on web.

Thanks,

Akanchha 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 04, 2023 Oct 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm having this exact same problem, your confidence in thinking that it doesn't is laughable. 

"There's no such thing", the absolute joke of this new update is absolutely terrible and I have not been trying to add text for the past 3 hours and it keeps deleting whenever at one point, this software then has an issue and causes everything to disappear. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines