• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I delete the photos that I backed up when I imported them?

Explorer ,
Jan 23, 2017 Jan 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is probably a very elementary question...

When importing, I checked the box that offers to "make a second copy." The problem is that it is taking up a lot of hard drive space. How do I safely delete all of those backed up photos?

Thanks in advance!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 23, 2017 Jan 23, 2017

Be sure you understand that when you import using the "Copy" or "Copy as DNG" options- your photos are copied to the folder where they will permanently stay, and where Lightroom makes its references to the files. The "Make a second copy" function is designed to help protect you from loss of files- it creates another set of dated folders with the files grouped by import time (not really useful for long-term backup or restoration of the Lightroom folder structure).

Before you use the operating syst

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jan 23, 2017 Jan 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Be sure you understand that when you import using the "Copy" or "Copy as DNG" options- your photos are copied to the folder where they will permanently stay, and where Lightroom makes its references to the files. The "Make a second copy" function is designed to help protect you from loss of files- it creates another set of dated folders with the files grouped by import time (not really useful for long-term backup or restoration of the Lightroom folder structure).

Before you use the operating system to delete the "Second Copies" be 100% certain (using Finder or File Explorer) that you have both the original files where they were imported AND at least one other backup of all your photos on another drive- including the most recent.

So use the OS to check you have the originals AND backups of the 'originals' folders, then use the OS to delete the "Second Copies"

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 24, 2017 Jan 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is very helpful, thank you!

Besides the photo files themselves, are there any other files I would need to delete? In the Download Backups folder, I see a file for the Lightroom Catalog and one for Lightroom Catalog Previews.

Also, can I do this all through the Finder, or is this something that needs to be done through Lightroom somehow?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

any other files I would need to delete?

No.   (and done in Finder)

You MUST preserve the Lightroom Catalog and all your Original photo files -without fail!

The Catalog contains everything you do, and have ever done, in the Lr software. It does NOT contain your photos.

Be sure you recognize the difference between your Original photo files in folders, and the "Second Copy" folders-  they are not the same!

(The Lightroom Catalog Previews folder contains all the previews that Lr creates to display in the library and develop modules. It can be deleted, but only ever consider doing this, with expert advice, if you encounter corruption with the previews.)

ScreenShot088.jpg

Only delete the "Second Copy" folder ( named by the Date and Time of the Import)  using Finder- AFTER making archival backups -

ScreenShot087.jpg

Backups of original photos and the Catalog must be on a separate physical hard-drive, as should have been the "Second Copy".

Using different partitions on the same physical drive does not protect against mechanical drive failure.

Am I making it clearer, or harder to understand?

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the folder structure above can be miss leading the Photo Files "originals are not stored with your Catalog.lrcat and Catalog Previews.lrdata. They reside in the System folder that you have selected when they were imported.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Folder structure modified- thanks!

Making better sense?

ScreenShot090.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great, thanks!

So, there are photos in dated folders for the "second copy". Is there a way, in Lightroom, to search for photos on the basis of import date?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 25, 2017 Jan 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

search for photos on the basis of import date?

I do not think this is possible in Lightroom. You can use the Sort option "Added Order" but it does not show a date.

There may be a plug-in available that can pull this information from the Catalog. Something like "Any Filter" Any Filter Lightroom Plugin: Criteria Reference

(Capture Time is certainly searchable.)

(It would not be sensible to store "Added Order" in a file's metadata, as this would change if the image were to be imported to other catalogs on different dates.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines