• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why do all my attempts to install Flash fail?

New Here ,
Jan 25, 2017 Jan 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently had to have my os (Windows XP) uninstalled and reinstalled in my computer.  Now I cannot install Adobe Flash player.  I have tried numerous times but the results are always "installation has failed."

I have gone to the archives page and told it I wanted Flash for Windows XP, but it still fails.

I use Mozilla Firefox and have read that might be the problem.  I have marked my browser as Firefox (along with my OS as XP) and it still fails to install every single time.

I do not at this time have Adobe Flash on this computer, so there is nothing to uninstall.  I have attempted to enable Adobe Flash in the  add ons section of my browser, but no option for enabling Adobe Flash yet exists there.

I am locked out of numerous video sites and don't like html5.  Why am I apparently doing everything right but none of it is working?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi metushelach969

What Service Pack, if any, do you have installed on your XP system?  What is the name of the installer file you are using?

In order to troubleshoot, I'll need to view the install log files.  Please provide the following files:

• Adobe_ADM.log and Adobe_GDE.log saved at C:\Documents and Settings\<YourUserID>\Local Settings\Temp\Adobe_ADMLogs
  • FlashInstall.log file saved at C:\Windows\system32\Macromed\Flash
    • If this is a 64-bit OS, there's another FlashInstall.log file saved at C:\Windows\syswow64\Macromed\Flash - both files are required from a 64-bit OS

Upload all files to cloud.acrobat.com/send using the instructions at How to share a document and post the link to the uploaded files in your reply.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for offering to help me!

Unfortunately, I'm not at all technologically proficient and don't know how to answer your questions or provide the information you're asking for.  I have gone into the folders you have indicated and find no such content whatsoever.  I see only "Desktop," "Favorites," "My Documents," and "Start Menu."  There are certainly no "Settings," "Temp," and certainly no "Adobe ADM Logs."

I'm sorry to be so technologically illiterate.  I have attempted my installs from the main Adobe page, including the archives on which I indicated both the XP and Firefox options.

I could attempt another download and try to share the download file with you, provided I can understand the instructions in the address you provide.

I'm simply used to clicking on "run program" for it to install.  I did not build this computer, nor rebuild it.  And its os has just a few days ago had to be uninstalled and re-installed completely.

Again,  please forgive my ignorance.  I'll see what I can do to find out, if possible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My system is 32-bit, btw.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have done a file/folder search for both the ADM and GDE folders.  Nothing was turned up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is the site where I have attempted to download and install the player.  Please note that I used both XP and Firefox options yet have continued to fail every time:

Adobe Flash Player Install for all versions

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The installer is labeled flashplayer24_d_install.exe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's fixed now!  A very kind online acquaintance remote controlled my computer and fixed it.  He had to use the offline installer.

Thank you!  Sorry for all the trouble!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 26, 2017 Jan 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad you were able to install.  It'd still be great to find out why the online installer wasn't working.  The online installer creates the files as soon as it's launched so there should be something in C:\Documents and Settings\<YourUserID>\Local Settings\Temp\Adobe_ADMLogs.  The directory path got split into two lines in my previous post, which could have led to confusion. The sub-directory in  C:\Documents and Settings\<YourUserID> is 'Local Settings', which may be hidden.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Believe me, so would I!  I have absolutely no idea why it absolutely refused to install in the usual way, and now all updates will probably fail unless they also come through the offline installer.

I'm sorry I can't answer your questions.  I've been on the Net for 20 years but no so little about computers.  Local Settings must have truly been hidden, because I couldn't find it anywhere; I found only the folders I told you about.

Thank you again, and I apologize for my ignorance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you opt into Background Updates (update option = 'Allow Adobe to install updates (recommended)') Updates will install silently, in the background with no user interaction, within 24 hours of a new version being released, as long as the system is connected to the internet. This is the quickest, easiest way to update Flash Player.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines