• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Accessing HTML Files in InDesign Files

Enthusiast ,
Jan 25, 2017 Jan 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm confused! I watched a series of Lynda.com tutorials, and I could have sworn they talked about the possibility of working directly with html files in InDesign. I thought the way to do it was to drag your file into a program called eCanCrusher, which reveals the HTML files.

However, I just remembered that's the way you analyze the contents of finished epubs. So how do you access HTML files inside InDesign books or documents (extension .indb or .indd)?

Thanks.

TOPICS
EPUB

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 25, 2017 Jan 25, 2017

I’m afraid you’re mistaken. There is no HTML to access in an InDesign file.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m afraid you’re mistaken. There is no HTML to access in an InDesign file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, so that means there's no way to make changes "under the hood" until I've exported everything as an epub???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Given that I have no idea what you're trying to accomplish or what version of InDesign you're trying to accomplish it with, I'm going to wait for you to supply that information.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CC2017; I'm trying to make a reflowable epub.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In that case, if you properly format the text in InDesign and tag all of the styles properly, you probably won’t have to have access the HTML. I’ve done a few recently, that while they required some additional CCS, I didn’t have to crack open the EPUB.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're on a Mac BBEdit is an excellent ePub editor: Bare Bones Software | BBEdit 11

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jan 26, 2017 Jan 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the tip; I gave BBEdit a try, and it works great.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines