• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is there a way to link object position in a layout

Explorer ,
Jan 26, 2017 Jan 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I have a file and currently it has 3 different language layers, English, French, and Spanish. It isn't clear which versions I'll need per project. Sometimes I'll make the same design with all three translations. Is there a way to link the position and size of these text boxes so when I design the english version of this project and need to switch to french or spanish all of the box positions will be in the same place. Keep in mind this is a template and multiple people use it and are moving the text boxes to fit their design. Would some sort of text import be the best solution? Can I set up a master file for text import in each language and then relink the master file to the French/Spanish versions?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Guide , Jan 26, 2017 Jan 26, 2017

Hi

What about using conditional text? All texts in one single frame...

ct.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why not have three masters instead of three layers?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That still doesn't help when I am moving the text boxes on the english master and need the text boxes on the french and spanish master to move with it. Or am I missing something?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In that case, there’s no way to do what you want that I can think of. Maybe something could be scripted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have no clue on how to script. Have any good links to get me started?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ask in the InDesign Script forum to see if someone has already developed such a script. Or pay someone to create it.

InDesign Scripting

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

What about using conditional text? All texts in one single frame...

ct.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting. I'll look into this more. Do you know off hand if the text stays in the same position? So say you only have the spanish layer on will it be aligned to the top. Then when you only have the french turned on will it be aligned to the top as well?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes sir!

yes.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

YES!!! Thank you. This is EXACTLY what I need.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines