• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Body Text losing indent at top of page

Participant ,
Jan 19, 2017 Jan 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In ID CS6 I am doing a large, 450 pg book. Occasionally at the start of a page, when a body text para starts the page, the para will lose its first line indent. If you placde the cursor within the para, Body text will highlight in the para styles menu with NO + indicated. If I retag as basic para and then tag as body text, the correct indent appears.

THis is very troublesome at this stage of the project. Anyone have an idea what is causing this?

Thanks

Jon

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If this is happening on only this one document, I would try to Export to IDML; then re-open the IDML file (in order to reconstitute the document) and save that new document with a similar filename to your older version. Then, see if the problem continues.

BTW, what version of ID are you using?

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CS6

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a little odd that it is only at the top of the page.

Is there a style before it, such as a heading? Are you typing?

I am wondering if a Next Style setting has been set. Look at your Style definitions and check.

Is there a keyboard shortcut for the No Indent style? Check for that as well.

What is in the + part of the NO + ? The NO is the No Indent style, and the + means the paragraph has overrides and is not using it. Hover over the style name and read the exceptions.

FYI, it is common to have No Indent after a heading and after a break, but not randomly at tops of various pages.

I am just trying to think of any possible logical reason why this might be happening before we think poltergeists.

Mike, what else can you add to this list?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Turn on Hidden Characters in the Type menu and check to see if the previous page ends with a paragraph return or a line break.

Screen Shot 2017-01-19 at 9.23.55 PM.png

EDIT: Re-reading your post, I noticed that you can force the style and get it to work, so it's probably not a line break.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 26, 2017 Jan 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I would export to IDML and see if the new document made from opening the IDML file still exhibits the problem. I might trash preferences after that, and see if the new file from idml works better.

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines