• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Removing checkerboard from transparency

Community Beginner ,
Jan 26, 2017 Jan 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am working with a stock eps file - artwork on a transparent background. I have not been able to get rid of the checkerboard effect, even after selecting 'none' in the Transparency and Gamut preferences. It doesn't disappear either when I flatten the image and save it in other formats. I'm using the latest PS version on the latest Mac Sierra OS.

Any suggestions please?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 26, 2017 Jan 26, 2017

I'd suggest contacting Shutterstock and get them to sort it out -- what you got was not vector. I even tried opening it in Illustrator, and all I got was a file with an embedded raster image.

I noticed that the image had an option for jpg on the purchase page, but even if that was what you wound up with, it should not have had the transparency checkerboard as part of the image.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The checkerboard denotes a transparent layer on PSD files.  It does not show on JPGs or printed pages.  It's merely a visual reference.   If it bothers you so much, fill that layer with a solid background color.

Note: When creating new documents in Photoshop, you can specify the background contents (black, white, transparent, etc...)  See screenshot.

Nancy

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The artwork appears to be embedded with the checkerboard. If I fill the layer, the artwork disappears too. I have tried saving it in numerous formats but the checkerboard remains. I've not encountered this problem before.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

EPS is a file format formerly used quite a bit in Illustrator.  But honestly, it's obsolete now.  Owing to it's many limitations, I have not personally used EPS files for many years.  

EPS – the Zombie among file formats

Nancy

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only conclusion I can draw (since you say it doesn't disappear when you flatten the file) is that it looks like transparency, but is actually grey and white squares on the art - like a screen shot of a transparent image. 

At 100% view, they look the same, but enlarge to 300%, and on the screen shot the squares get larger.

Screenshot 2017-01-26 13.29.47.png

Screenshot 2017-01-26 13.23.52.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried that and they appear to stay the same size. It's as if the checkerboard is part of the artwork!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since it is a purchased file, you should not share a public link to it, but if you would like to email me with a dropbox (or similar) link to the original file, I can look at it, and then discard it afterwards. There is an email link in my profile.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I took a look at your file. The checkerboard is part of the artwork on the file you sent. The shutterstock listing for the image claims that it is a vector, but it definitely opens as raster, with grey and white squares. Are you working with the preview image, or the final purchased download?

I double-clicked on the background layer - selected all and moved it. You can see here your image (with the gray squares selected) and the real transparency grid.

Screenshot 2017-01-26 14.33.06.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for that, I thought I was doing something wrong. It is a full purchase of a vector graphic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd suggest contacting Shutterstock and get them to sort it out -- what you got was not vector. I even tried opening it in Illustrator, and all I got was a file with an embedded raster image.

I noticed that the image had an option for jpg on the purchase page, but even if that was what you wound up with, it should not have had the transparency checkerboard as part of the image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I looked at the jpg too. It also has the checkerboard background so I shall definitely be on tho them about it. Thanks again for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 03, 2018 Mar 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem but can't figure out how to separate the layers to do what you said.  It is a logo I created in PowerPoint and exported as a png.  On Android platforms it has a black square background around the circle wherever the checkerboard shows on the screenshot below.  On IOS platforms (which I use) it looks fine. I am a total neophyte to Adobe Photoshop Elements and don't even know where to begin! Do you want me to send you a Dropbox link to the original?  The wave was common usage from Pixabay, I did the rest.

Screen Shot 2018-03-03 at 1.11.21 PM.png

If I just "attach" my saved png to this email, it looks like this:

Sea Change SM white March 1 .png

I also have a larger version of the same logo but am not attaching it now until you advise me.  Thank you!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 07, 2017 Dec 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is what they don't tell you--- Ive been trying to figure out for 2 days.

You can't drag in the Shutterstock image directly to Illustrator.  It makes it a pdf or jpg and not useable.  In Illustrator - go to OPEN and open the file off your desktop.  When it opens it will show all the layers and you can kill the checkerboard.    Hope someone can benefit from this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 03, 2019 May 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are a a life saver ♥

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 05, 2019 Nov 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot for sharing this, saved me too !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 10, 2019 Nov 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

wendyf17234318 you are a lifesaver!! Thanbk you for tthe simple solution!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 22, 2022 Apr 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I load the eps file into photoshop and no layers. So does that mean the file is foobar'd?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 22, 2022 Apr 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Rod241594641ysk wrote:

I load the eps file into photoshop and no layers. So does that mean the file is foobar'd?

It means you didn't open the vector EPS file in a vector application. Open it in Illustrator and you will see the layers, then bring it into Photoshop if you want to rasterize it.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines