• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Advanced Spill Supressor doesn't do anything anymore?

Explorer ,
Dec 27, 2016 Dec 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I have footage I green screen weekly. Lately I noticed that I don't use spill suppressor anymore because it doesn't seem to make a difference at all. However I remember it being very useful before when I had started out. When I put the view with Keylight on "intermediate results" I notice a difference after turning on the suppressor. But when I put in "final result" with Keylight there is no difference at all. At the end of the day final result looks better then intermediate with suppressor. So I just use that. However I wonder why it doesn't work with final result? I thought it use to work, but maybe I am mistaken. Does anyone have experience with this? My values are on 45 white 30 black. However it fluctuates some each week. Also some info> I use selective color to make my green screen more bright. That I use and Keylight, those are the only effects.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The spill suppressor does very little that Keylight doesn't already do by itself. There's only so many times you can run over footage and mess with its colors. The suppressor will simply recognize that. otehr than that it's a typical case of "your mileage may vary". Just because it doesn't improve your current workflow doesn't mean it could not be useful in the future. In reverse, it could simply mean that your screen setup is reasonably perfect and there'S simply not much left to improve, something which you should probably take some pride in.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I put the view with Keylight on "intermediate results" I notice a difference after turning on the suppressor. But when I put in "final result" with Keylight there is no difference at all.

final results means you want Keylight to deal with suppressing the green. that's why there is no difference when you apply the suppressor because you are preforming the same task twice

At the end of the day final result looks better then intermediate with suppressor.

often it's not the case. many times letting Keylight deal with suppressing the green will create noise artifacts and that's why the advanced spill suppressor was created. there are also other spill killers scripts and plugins out there for that purpose. if you are a Lynda subscriber, you can  learn all about why you should be using intermediate and not final result, and the whole keying process in detail in this series by Vfx master Mark Christiansen to learn all about getting the best out of your key: After Effects Compositing 04: Color Keying

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 26, 2017 Jan 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi coolhandluke,

Did the advice you received from our experts help you solve your issue? What did you end up doing? Any details you give can help others solve similar issues, so your feedback is most welcome!

Regards,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines