• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Gradient Overlay in Layer Style Not Showing Radial Gradient

Explorer ,
Jan 26, 2017 Jan 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello and thank you for your help and time.

I'm trying to create a radial gradient in my layer style. In the Layer style / Gradient Overlay it shows a picture of the radial gradient in the box on the right hand side. But, it doesn't show or create the radial gradient when I click OK. How can I create a radial gradient in Photoshop CC that I can move and edit.

Thanks

Screen Shot 2017-01-26 at 4.01.24 PM copy.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Have you tried other "blending mode" ?

Pierre

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure what the other blending mode is?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Adobe,

Why is my posted content rejected?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The layer  you are trying to add gradient overlay on is empty   ( Layer 4 is Transparent )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is correct. The layer is empty because when I click OK in the layer style menu, it doesn't create the gradation. So strange.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Layer Styles are only applied to the non-transparent portions of a layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Layer Style Effects only work if that layer contains pixels.  Either some solid color or paint strokes or something....

Use the Paint Bucket tool to add some color to that empty layer and you should see a gradient fill.

Blend Modes are near the top of your Layers Panel in a drop list.  Normal is the default.

Changing Blend Modes can drastically effect results.  Experiment to see what works best.

PS.  Nice group picture.

Nancy

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try this: Make a circular Shape with the Ellipse tool, fill black with no stroke. Set the Fill to zero%:

Now add the Gradient overlay, and you can move and resize it using the Move tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 27, 2017 Jan 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you all. I greatly appreciate the suggestions. I found out when I create a gradient adjustment layer I can move the radial gradation when the Gradient Fill menu is showing. I can also change the size and adjust my gradation level. Kind of tricky, but I figured it out. Thanks again for your help and time with this.

Screen Shot 2017-01-27 at 12.45.18 PM_No_Layers.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 20, 2020 Feb 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the exact same issue.  The Radial gradient isn't working for me either.  I though I was just crazy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 18, 2021 Aug 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi! I too was having this problem. I just figured out that my "mode" was set to "screen". Once I changed it to normal then it worked. 

Screen Shot 2021-08-18 at 2.48.05 PM.png

Hope this helps someone!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines