• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problems getting a line with single, editable path from Sketch into Illustrator (the Expand to Paths feature)

New Here ,
Nov 16, 2016 Nov 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello. I asked this question first in the Adobe Illustrator forum, and it was suggested I ask it here.

A bunch of questions seem to hint at the proper way to get lines out of the Adobe mobile apps (and not filled shapes)

(such as this thread Create a line not a filled shape with Adobe Draw  and this one How do I set up drawing as stroke paths, rather than the default compound paths? ) but never really carry through much further (as in why it's such a fractured workflow and why, if as the staff states, they have this conversation with a lot of people who uses Adobe Draw, why a change isn't being considered).

But they do all suggest that Adobe Photoshop Sketch is the way to go. That one is to send to Illustrator and then use the Options > Line and Sketch Art > Expand to Paths.  

But when sending to Illustrator, the option remains inactive ... always. What needs to be done in order to use this option? The file from Sketch opens as a fixed image, non-editable .ai file. Where is the problem? If recent changes have brought about other ways to do this that no longer use this option, what are they?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Nov 21, 2016 Nov 21, 2016

MW/James,

First MW, I'm sorry for not responding sooner (I didn't see your post until James posted).  A couple of things:

As you've noted already, since Sketch artwork is already expanded when it gets to Illustrator all of those options to expand and expand to paths are unavailable. My understanding is that there's no way around this but perhaps someone with more Illustrator experience will post a response.

As you mentioned, stroked paths vs. filled paths is a common feature request (especially fo

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Nov 20, 2016 Nov 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the exact problem - can't find anyway around this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 21, 2016 Nov 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MW/James,

First MW, I'm sorry for not responding sooner (I didn't see your post until James posted).  A couple of things:

As you've noted already, since Sketch artwork is already expanded when it gets to Illustrator all of those options to expand and expand to paths are unavailable. My understanding is that there's no way around this but perhaps someone with more Illustrator experience will post a response.

As you mentioned, stroked paths vs. filled paths is a common feature request (especially for Draw art) and It's something the drawing teams are looking into implementing. At this point, I just don't know whether (or when) that might happen.

I'm sorry I don't have more information to share.

Sue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 24, 2016 Nov 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also having the same problem with Sketch and Illustrator, and it seems like people have had success using this feature using Adobe Line and older versions of Illustrator. The feature to expand Line and Sketch is still in the CC2017 version of Illustrator so it seems like it should work.  I've tried deleting anything but sketch layers, using only pencil and pen tools, and selecting brushes marked "Adobe Line" (these are the bottom options on the default brush menu). I'm out of ideas but I'm hopeful someone on here knows how to do this. Both app and software are up to date.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 26, 2017 Jan 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Why did they take this feature away!!!!  Please bring it back!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines