• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Hyperlinking in Reflowable Epub

Enthusiast ,
Jan 25, 2017 Jan 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to create a reflowable epub with superscripts linked to footnotes in an appendix. I'm not sure what I should link to. Ordinarily I would link to a page, but a footnote could wind up on any number of pages if it's reflowable, couldn't it? Or does InDesign assign a constant page number for a block of text?

If I want to link to page 546, what would the link look like in my HTML? I can't import text into InDesign, so I have to format my hyperlinks using BBEdit.

I created a hyperlink as an example, but I only had one page in my project, so the link looks like this: <a href=""><span class="Hyperlink CharOverride-1">TEXT</span></a>

I'd just like to know what the hyperlink looks like in the HTML, so I can figure out how to write it. I'm guessing something like this:

<a href="page-546"><span class="Hyperlink CharOverride-1">TEXT</span></a>

Thanks.

TOPICS
EPUB

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On second thought, my epub will consist of several chapters, each represented by a different "document." So if my footnote is in a document named "Appendix6," would I link to it @ <a href="/Chapter10#112">112</a>?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why not use InDesign's hyperlink panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jan 26, 2017 Jan 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've checked out the hyperlink panel and watched a few tutorials, but I'm still confused.

Here are a hyperlink and text anchor I created with the hyperlink panel:

<p class="Basic-Paragraph">I am a <a id="_idTextAnchor001"></a><a href="#A1" title="Reverse Link">TEXT ANCHOR</a>.</p>

And here's a hyperlink that points to it:

<a href="#_idTextAnchor001" id="A1" title="Link">LINK</a>

If both items are on different pages in the same document, it works fine. But if they're in different documents within the same book, it doesn't work at all.

To clarify, I created a series of documents, each one representing a chapter in my book. Then I created a book and imported all of the documents into it. When I export it as an epub, it works fine - I can page through all the chapters. But the internal links don't work.

I'm doing a lot of this work with BBEdit, modifying files in a published epub. InDesign is proving very hard to work with. But my link works when the link and anchor are both in the same document. Any idea what the problem is?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jan 27, 2017 Jan 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Problem solved. I was just writing links and/or anchors incorrectly. I now understand how linking in epubs works, and everything's working fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 06, 2020 Sep 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Geobop, I have exactly the same problem. I need to link the superscripts of a multi-chapter book with a file of notes at the end of the book to generate an EPUB. Could you be so kind to explain me how you established the links by giving an example? Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines