• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Samsung 960 Evo erase or format?

Community Beginner ,
Jan 16, 2017 Jan 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently replaced my 2 raid 0 volumes with a single Samsung 960 Evo.  it is 500G in size and fills up fast.  The OS and program files are on a separate 850 EVO.  I archive the assets, exports and project files on a 4TB hard drive when I've finished mixing them in PProCS6.  What is the best way to erase the files on the 960EVO?

Delete?

format?

CCleaner drive wipe?

Do any of these operations shorten the life of the SSD?

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 17, 2017 Jan 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

still hoping for an answer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Jan 17, 2017 Jan 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 20, 2017 Jan 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I checked it out online.  Still wonder what's the best way to erase, delete or format the 960.  I could be wrong, but wouldn't a secure erase involve multiple rewrites over existing data to render it secure? possibly shortening the life.  Maybe i'm just overthinking it.  If formatting the drive would be preferable, would it be quick format?  Hoping more that use these kind of SSDs wile chime in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I believe you are correct when you say you might be 'overthinking it'.

SSDs btw run in a TRIM mode, the whole file is erased when a file is deleted. Not like spinning drives where the space is marked as deleted and you can still possibly recover the file. Just erase and proceed...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would venture a guess that just deleting the file would exercise fewer read write operations which determine to lifetime of the SSD.  One of the things you never want to do is defragment any SSD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 23, 2017 Jan 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the answers.  For now, I'll just delete and keep crunching videos.  I didn't know about the defrag warning.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 27, 2017 Jan 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello James,

Considering you didn’t get any solid solution till now.

You may only go for wiping your 960 Evo with either CCleaner (which you already mention) or with BitRaser, if it is very sensitive data for you. Both of them works with SSD. Once the data is wiped, it will be permanently gone.Keep the backup ready before using these software.

Wiping process shortened the lifespan of SSD's by killing the write cycle on the drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 27, 2017 Jan 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

IIRC Samsung has a system to erase their SSDs.

Samsung Magician.PNG

But the real question is why do you want to Erase, Format, and or go through any other operation to just Delete the files on it. Just Delete and be done with it.

The less writing to the drive the longer it will last.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines