Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Missing HTM

Jul 30, 2008 Jul 30, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm working with RH X5 on a RH project which I've been updating over the last two years.

It's been renamed at least once. Issue is that no matter how I generate or re-generate the WebHelp layout, RH fails to create the corresponding "htm" file for the start page. I've even selected empty output folders; when finished all the files have been created in it except for the specified "start-page.htm" file. I've tried renaming the start-page htm file, still missing.

Any thoughts? Thanks...

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi In-doubt and welcome to the RH coomunity.
If you have renamed a project, the name of the start topic does not get renamed with it. Therefore I suspect the start page is being generated but you are looking for the wrong file name. If you look in your webhelp single source layout you will see the start file name there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the welcome and the reply.

When I generate the WebHelp layout, the start file name & output folder location are displayed. When the process completes I go to the output folder and just can't locate my missing start file. In fact, when the layout generation process is done and I get the "View Results" option - I click on it and nothing happens.

I've even done a file search looking for the named start file and have come up empty.

But I don't have this problem when generating a HTML Help layout and it's "CHM" file. And the WebHelp Pro layout seems to be ok too. My problem seems confined to the WebHelp layout, just the one I need. (Murphy's law.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you generating to your hard disk? Try that.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep. I've tried generating to my C: drive (several different folders), and also to a network drive. Same negative result. It's frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all

Perhaps try defining a new Single Source Layout?

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One note of interest. I have located an early copy of the project, in an "archive folder", that does have the "missing" start-page htm.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the top panel of the very first window in the Generate process (labeled "Select Output Folder and Start Page"), verify that the Output Folder path is correct. It probably isn't.

Good luck,
Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 12, 2008 Aug 12, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you ever resolve your problem with the missing html file. I am running same version and having the exact same problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 13, 2008 Aug 13, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I figured out the problem. I was logged in without Administrative Rights. As soon as a logged in as Admin I was able to publish my start page and my navigation bar showed up in the left pane again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Aug 14, 2008 Aug 14, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Lpitt,

It sounds like you may have more problems lying ahead unless you have taken these steps:

1. Decide which login ID you will use on a regular basis when working in RH.
2. Make sure that, say, MyID has admin rights on the PC.
3. Install RH while logged in as MyID.
4. Keep using MyID whenever you use RH to edit, generate and publish a project.

Harvey

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp