• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Indesign will not print more than 1 copy of a file

Community Beginner ,
Jan 27, 2017 Jan 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign will not print more than 1 copy of a file.

Acrobat, Photoshop, Word, you name it and the software will print as many copies as i type in the "copies" box.

But not for InDesign! I change it to any number other than 1, click print, out pops 1 copy. I change it to any other number, click "setup" in the print dialogue box then "preferences" for the printer. Cancel out of that and I see "Copies 1" again. InDesign really only wants to print 1 of anything.

I even tried changing the quantity of copies in the setup and print dialogue boxes but they always default back to 1.

I have reinstalled the Ricoh MPC4503 a dozen times, a dozen different ways with different drivers, auto installing, manually downloading the drivers from the Ricoh site etc.

This is on a new Windows 10 PC. Never had this problem with InDesign on the old mac - same printer.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You mention reinstalling the print driver, but (given that the problem is unique to InDesign), have you tried resetting InDesign's preferences? 

Troubleshooting 101: Replace, or "trash" your InDesign preferences

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks but resetting InDesign preferences did not help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bottom line is that printing has never been a strong suit for InDesign. You’re far better off exporting a PDF and printing that.

I’ve been using InDesign since version 1.0 and do not recall printing from the application at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

According to Bob answer: if you continue to print from InDesign than you can find that he can not only print some copies, he can change colors, change strokes, have it artefacts in images and borders of intersecting images/transparences, etc. Always do PDF and than only print from Acrobat. Print from InDesign is a draft-print-feature.

Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. © David Blatner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I assume this is a Postscript printer? I've always exported to a PDF with non-PS printers just for speed, and kept up the practice when using PS printers. It sounds like a strange setting within the PS driver. You might talk to your Ricoh tech if you have one and have them help with checking the settings. The PDF route is a good workaround, but it is still a workaround.

And, yes, duplicate settings made in the "Printer" section of the print dialog box will be ignored (the main Print dialog box settings take precedence).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines