Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Flatten vs Merge Vs Image link embed

Participant ,
Jan 18, 2017 Jan 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello fellow animators

My question is, I have many hands in my illustrator file for my puppet. Many hands that I want to swap in and out, some point some thumbs up some crossing fingers etc. However each of these hand layers has many clipping groups that don't show up in character animator, Also they have many many objects. What is the best way for the most efficient way to group all of this in one single image? I have a look long and hard but I can't seem to find anything addressing this specific issue please help.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 18, 2017 Jan 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So Illustrator can be weird.

1. Not everything in Illustrator is currently supported if it's left as a vector. Select the puppet and on the right properties you'll see "Render as Vector" - try checking / unchecking this to see differences (like how transparent/blended layers get rendered).

2. By default Illustrator names things like <group> and <path>, and CH doesn't render all of these as individual layers because it would get crazy long. But if you rename them, they'll show up. So any of those generic names, rename them to "artwork" or something and they should come through.

I don't usually use clipping groups so I can't recall if they're supported or not...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 27, 2017 Jan 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanx. I love all your videos. But I would love to know if flatten or merge speeds up performance. I have an illustrator puppet inspired by Wilke with multiple head turn angles and a ton of objects. What is the most efficient workflow or setup to combine all objects? You often mention flatten but I'm still a bit confused about that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 27, 2017 Jan 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Flattening is only really relevant in PSD files. So a lot of times I might have 20+ layers for the background face - skin, shadows, highlights, hair, ears, etc - if I flattened all those to one layer instead of 20, that's going to make things easier for CH to run. Illustrator works differently, so it's probably best to leave all those default <path> <shape> etc layers as they are.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines