• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Making both solid transparent and hide the layer below.

New Here ,
Jan 27, 2017 Jan 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey!

I,m in the making doing something like in this youtube clip (top right corner) Cities Skylines: San Minato - Faeriye City (Ep. 11) - YouTube

and i have two layers, one with a pre recorded film and on top of that a solid that is keyframed to slowly reveal the film. Now i have a grey solid layer, but i want it

to be transparent and also hide the film looking like it drops down from nothing.

Is it possible that i,m on the right track or is it more complicated than this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 27, 2017 Jan 27, 2017

You could add linear wipe from Effects>Transitions to reveal from nothing.

You could pre-compose your original two layers and use the copy gray solid as a track matte.

You could set matte...

The best technique depends on your composition but since we can't see that you will either have to send us a screen shot with the modified properties of all layers in question revealed (press the u key twice) and then Print Screen or Ctrl/Cmnd + Shift + 3 on a Mac to take a screenshot, then if in Windows Paste

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could add linear wipe from Effects>Transitions to reveal from nothing.

You could pre-compose your original two layers and use the copy gray solid as a track matte.

You could set matte...

The best technique depends on your composition but since we can't see that you will either have to send us a screen shot with the modified properties of all layers in question revealed (press the u key twice) and then Print Screen or Ctrl/Cmnd + Shift + 3 on a Mac to take a screenshot, then if in Windows Paste to the reply field of this forum or if in a Mac drag from the desktop to the reply field and we'll point you in the right direction.

There is no one easy answer to any AE compositing questions because there is no one solution to every problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Two words -- "Track Matte". 

Go look the term up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok so i got to know "track matte" ! Thanks for the tip. Now i face the second problem. I want to use the renderd material in Sony Vegas but there its not transparent, its black. When i,m using it in Ae its no problem though..

Rendering in quicktime, RGB + Alpha like you should...

Any thoughts?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rendering in quicktime, RGB + Alpha like you should...

import the rendered footage back to Ae. is it transparent?

if it's not, you should double check your output module settings. if you are using elements with semi-transparency, you might want to also use straight alpha for color settings (this is not the cause of no alpha) to make sure your edges are not matted with the background color.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thoughts??? if you truly rendered with an alpha then Sony Vegas just didn't recognize the alpha. Check interpolation. If you can import your rendered file into AE and have a transparent background then it will be transparent in Vegas as long as you check the appropriate boxes in the footage properties.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines