• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

If file already exists, then why can't I find it to delete it?

Community Beginner ,
Jan 27, 2017 Jan 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to edit clips out of a home movie I have edited before (and will do again).  I put the DVD in drive but  Premiere 14 tells me there is an error because the file already exists in such and such a place.  Well, I sure can't find it.  And really, so what if it does exist? And if it does exist ,  then it should let me get it from where it exists!  Is there a way to find it somewhere else and delete it there?

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 28, 2017 Jan 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is in the file directory that you are trying to save your DVD files to?

When you rip video from a DVD, the video files are given the same basic names: VTS_01_VOB, VTS_01_01.VOB, etc. So if you've already got files that were ripped from a DVD in the directory folder, the program will think the files you are trying to add already exist.

Assuming you're using the Video Importer (Add Media/From DVD Camera or Computer Drive) to rip the video from the disc, the easiest solution is to direct the video to be saved to a new directory folder on your computer.

If you need help doing this, check out my free 8 part Basic Training tutorials. Part 2 deals with capturing video from and AVCHD camcorder, but the process is the same if you are using the Video Importer to rip video from a DVD.

*** Premiere Elements Basic Training ***

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 04, 2017 Feb 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a similar problem. I have imported one set of VOB files from my DVD payer into Elements 15 with no problem. Now I cannot import any more. I understand that I cannot import to the same folder because all the files have the same name. I have tried sending to a new subfolder, I tried moving the originals out of the default folder, I tried sending to a new folder on a completely different hard drive, but always get the same message: Import Error. File already exists at G:\family\TEST (or wherever I try to send it)

It matters not whether this is a file I have already imported or a new one.

There is nothing in these folders - why can't I import?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 04, 2017 Feb 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I think I may have found the answer to this in a previous thread.

On the import screen, don't leave the "pre-sets" option blank - select an option from the drop-down list. That seems to solve the problem. (See the thread I,added,some,video,clips,from,a,SD,card,to,Premiere,Elements,but,when,I,tried,to,add,some,)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines