Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Breadcrumbs in X5

New Here ,
Aug 14, 2008 Aug 14, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Can someone help me understand how RH generates breadcrumbs. I'm taking over for an author who used RH and it looks like he added JavaScript to make this happen. Did this JS come with prior versions of RH or is it something one can do themselves.

I'll attach the code I see at the top of every RH page.

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to our community, Jane

Presently Breadcrumbs are only available in version 7 of RoboHelp. And then, only if you are generating an uncompiled format such as WebHelp or FlashHelp.

What RoboHelp does is to analyze the Table of Contents (TOC) structure. The breadcrumbs you see in the topics reflect where in the TOC the topic exists.

The JavaScript you are seeing is a result of RoboHelp's doing. Part of the process of generating WebHelp output takes each topic and injects JavaScript code that causes different things to happen. Based on the settings in effect at the time the generation took place.

You would be hard pressed to roll your own JavaScript similar to what RoboHelp creates. It's a pretty complicated puzzle and maze of different routines and variables all packaged neatly so it works.

Hopefully this comes close to providing the answer you were hoping for.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again

In re-reading this thread, it would appear I'm guilty of something I'm regularly guilty of. That's to overcomplicate things.

Breadcrumbs are a feature that you simply elect to include or not when you create your WebHelp output. Here's how you get to the setting.

Click View > Pods > Single Source Layouts
Double-click a WebHelp or FlashHelp layout
Click Next >
There should be a check box labeled "Add Breadcrumbs Links"

If you would like to provide your own formatting for the Breadcrumb trail, click the Format button

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for your response.

I should say that I'm using RHX5 and I see breadcrumbs on most pages. Are you saying that RHX5 could not generate breadcrumbs? If that's the case, I'm now wondering how the breadcrumbs got inserted?

RHX5 has an option to Show Navigation Pane Links in Topics. Is this related to breadcrumbs.

- Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jane

Hmmm, assuming RoboHelp X5 was used, Breadcrumbs would have had to have been added using a custom solution.

By chance can you share a screen capture of your output so that I may see what you are referring to? Or, if you like, send me a private message to rstone75 (at) kc (dot) rr (dot) com with a screen capture.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Thanks, I'll send a screen shot with the details.

- Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp