• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to test-deploy and distribute an extension?

Explorer ,
Jan 28, 2017 Jan 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’ve built my own extension for InDesign CC, and now would like to:

• Test-deploy it locally, to play through customer scenarios.
  • Email the signed extension’s .zxp file to beta-testers for them to try it out.
  • Distribute the public release the extension... at Adobe Add-Ons?

However, I am running into (well-known?) problems around the Extension Manager CC, as I have outlined in this thread. Any help and suggestions would be very much appreciated...

Thanks!

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

People's Champ , Jan 30, 2017 Jan 30, 2017

Extension Manager is a no-go. Its support stopped with CC (2014 for what I remember but might be wrong with the date).

In any cases, you can't rely on this product unless you are still doing Flex based extensions fro CS5 to CS6 users.

Addons should be your favorite way of distribution but if you want to master the distribution by yourself, you have to have your users use the ExtensionManager CommandLine tool :

Adobe Exchange

Or to create your own installer. I guess the Extension Builder forum will

Votes

Translate

Translate
People's Champ ,
Jan 30, 2017 Jan 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Extension Manager is a no-go. Its support stopped with CC (2014 for what I remember but might be wrong with the date).

In any cases, you can't rely on this product unless you are still doing Flex based extensions fro CS5 to CS6 users.

Addons should be your favorite way of distribution but if you want to master the distribution by yourself, you have to have your users use the ExtensionManager CommandLine tool :

Adobe Exchange

Or to create your own installer. I guess the Extension Builder forum will be more helpful on that matter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Loic.Aigon​!

... have your users use the ExtensionManager CommandLine tool : Adobe Exchange

I have tried out the ExMan command line tool and it seems to work. What do you think of other tools like ZXPInstaller or Anastasiy’s Extension Manager?

Not sure I want to “ship” with my own installer, considering that the only file being copied is the actual .zxp file. Bummer that Adobe seems to have abandoned their own extension manager.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do you think of other tools like ZXPInstaller or Anastasiy’s Extension Manager?

Not tested.

Bummer that Adobe seems to have abandoned their own extension manager.

Teasing spirits would say it was a Macromedia product at first

But yes Extension Manager came handy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I've used the ZXPInstalled without issue, but not very much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines