• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

indesign set up and pdf export for Ipad 3 (retina)

Community Beginner ,
Jan 28, 2017 Jan 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need to create a catalog in indesign that will be viewed on an Ipad 3.

There will be no interactivity even attempted as I am aware of the pitfalls!

I'm looking for answers on how to set up the indesign document and the optimal export for Ipad 3.

I see lots of differing opinions on the 1024 or 2048 set up as well as the resolution of the images that should be use in the document.

My final file size will be important and I've been told i can just compress it down to the size I need. I see no reason to compress something unless it's absolutely necessary and I think building the document right from the start will eliminate the need to compress the pdf.

I will also be looking into the publish online option but I don't think this will work for my end user at this time.

I have been reading a lot of BobLevine​ and will continue but I am open to any information that can be shared. I find the forums very helpful. Even though I had to set up a new account to post!

I am using the latest version of CC. Working on an i Mac that is about 3 or 4 years old. I'm not sitting in front of it so I can't give you all the details.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These are the currently recommended sizes for an iPad (facing pages or a single page).

page-size.jpg

Source: Pariah Burke

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Honestly, it doesn't matter how you set it up as long as it's 4:3. That will fill a full page as a PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My thought is that the clarity is more about the quality of images that are used in the document. most of the information I have read says 144 ppi .png images work best. How about the export options? What the optimal export from indesign to PDF for the ipad retina?

Thanks Bob!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are completely overthinking this. Try a few things and open them on the iPad to view them.

Let your eyes be the guide. It’s not always about numbers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

most of the information I have read says 144 ppi .png images work best. How about the export options? What the optimal export from indesign to PDF for the ipad retina?

It's image pixel dimensions that matter most—a 144ppi image could have a large or small pixel dimension depending on its output size.

InDesign allows you to use pixels as an measurement unit–1pixel = 1/72". So you can set up a document to 2048 x 1536 pixels:

Screen Shot 2017-01-28 at 1.35.53 PM.png

If I place a 2048x1536 pixel image at 100% it will match the document's page size if its resolution is 72ppi.

Screen Shot 2017-01-28 at 1.47.12 PM.png

If I export this document to PDF at 72ppi the 2048x1536 image dimension will be maintained, which AcrobatPro's Object inspector shows:

Screen Shot 2017-01-28 at 1.49.55 PM.png

If you assume the visitor will view this page as is, a higher pixel dimension won't help. If you expect them to zoom in and see a better quality, you would have to place images with higher pixel dimensions and avoid downsampling at export. So 4096x3072 at 144ppi would allow a 200% zoom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you everyone for your input! I will do some testing as Bob suggested.

I truly appreciate having a place to discuss and get answers!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines