• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Interactive PDFs in web browser

New Here ,
Jan 28, 2017 Jan 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having trouble publishing my interactive form to the web. When viewed in Adobe Reader, my interactive form works great. When viewed in a web browser, none of my fields work.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 28, 2017 Jan 28, 2017

That’s just the way it is. PDFs in a browser are a crapshoot.

If it has to be read in a browser, use a Google form or some other HTML based form.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That’s just the way it is. PDFs in a browser are a crapshoot.

If it has to be read in a browser, use a Google form or some other HTML based form.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using InDesign built-in feature "Publish Online" the form will not work just like mr. Levine pointed out, however it seems the issue is not with the web browser but how the interactive content is (translated) via HTML.

For instance, right-click on your PDF e-form, choose to open it in Safari if you are on Mac, the form works fine. It doesn't work in Firefox though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 29, 2017 Jan 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right. As I said, browsers are a crapshoot.

If the way the PDF is to be used cannot be controlled then it's imperative (IMO) to find a more appropriate method.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll agree with Bob on the limitations of interactive forms and interactivity in general in browser PDF readers, and many other third party product PDF readers. The only way you can guarantee proper viewing is to recommend to your readers to use Adobe Reader or Adobe Acrobat. There are others that can work, but you'd have to test them ahead of time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the feedback. I thought it was something I was doing wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 26, 2024 Feb 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad I found this conversation, I am having similar issues with my client and the interactive PDFs we are preparing for her. She also preferes ot use her iPad and open file attachments like PDFs in her email client and claims they don't work right. Ugh, she has very poor computer skils, unfortunately for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And please note the date. This conversation is SEVEN YEARS OLD and the situation is even murkier today.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Oy vey, yeah, I was in such a hurry I did not note the date. I am not surprised that things are murkier now as technology continues to advance and expand. Thanks for pointing this out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines