Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop CS6 on Same Mac, New OSX Questions

Jan 28, 2017 Jan 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I currently have Photoshop CS6 Extended installed on my 2012 Macbook Pro and have had this program now for almost five years. Unfortunately, due to other factors, my hard-drive will need to be wiped completely and a newer OSX will be installed on the same device (I've been previously running OSX 10.7 Lion). As I am not the most tech savvy person in this way, I have many questions about what my next steps should be to keep CS6 running properly:

According to Adobe support and my product key, my copy of CS6 can only be downloaded/activated to two separate computers, and if I wanted to download it to a third, I would need to deactivate it on one of the other two first. If I do not deactivate my program on my laptop before it is wiped, will CS6 recognize the device as the same activated device when I reinstall it, or will it consider it a second device due to the new OS?

Also, I have read that CS6 is not supported on newer Mac OSX? As an artist who works regularly with the program, and a graduate student who cannot easily afford the ~$50/month Creative Cloud subscription that appears to be the only way to buy or have access to any Photoshop programs nowadays, this is very worrying -- is there a work around for this? I saw that OS El Capitan and CS6 are not compatible, but that OS Yosemite is indeed compatible with CS6. Has anyone who uses CS6, specifically Photoshop, found any major problems running this on this OS -- such lag or slow responsiveness? I've seen that there was an issue with hotkey shortcuts with CS6 Photoshop version 13.02 when OS Yosemite first came out, and I am unsure if this was fixed (apparently you can download a plug-in that can fix the problem); Do updated versions of CS6, such as 13.0.6, work properly with OS Yosemite now without lag/slowness?

Thank you all for your help with all of these questions!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 28, 2017 Jan 28, 2017

You will definitely need to deactivate CS6 from the old computer.  Is that going to be a problem?

Have you seen Jeff Tranberry's page on CS6 and Sierra?  It appears, from the comments, that people do have CS6 running with Sierra, but they are having issues with things like printer drivers.

Photoshop & Lightroom compatibility with macOS 10.12 Sierra

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You will definitely need to deactivate CS6 from the old computer.  Is that going to be a problem?

Have you seen Jeff Tranberry's page on CS6 and Sierra?  It appears, from the comments, that people do have CS6 running with Sierra, but they are having issues with things like printer drivers.

Photoshop & Lightroom compatibility with macOS 10.12 Sierra

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

CS6 can be installed and will work on 10.12.3 Sierra.

If you go for the Photography Plan, it's  $10 a month annual commitment. Latest versions of Photoshop piped in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines