Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Getting consistent inkjet color output from InDesign

Community Beginner ,
Jan 28, 2017 Jan 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I've seen a few discussions in these forums related to this problem, but none with a definitive answer.

So off the bat, I'm using Adobe CC 2017 (Id, Ps, Br, Lr) on a Mac Mini running Sierra 10.12.2. I'm printing to a Canon Pro-100 (driver 16.0.5).

I'm trying to print an InDesign document containing hi-res TIFFs tagged w/Adobe 1998, and I can't make the color match what I get when printing the same linked TIFFs directly from Photoshop. I've synched color management across CC from within Bridge (NA Prepress 2). I'm using the ICC profile for my paper, and I've turned off printer color management.

I'm doing everything right within Photoshop: the output from PS matches my monitor, and I like it.

But, using the exact same color settings, the output from InDesign has a terrible magenta cast.

What am I missing?

Thanks,
Joe

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I assume your document is in a RGB color mode.

Have you tried printing from a PDF, rather than from InDesign, using the InDesign Adobe PDF Presets and selecting (for an inkjet printer) High Quality Print?

Lynda.com have an excellent online video tutorial on InDesign and color management, you can get a 10-day free trial:

InDesign Insider Training: Color

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Derek, thanks for the reply. Yes, document is RGB. And I have tried exporting to a PDF with the High Quality Print settings, and got the same printed results as INDD.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have a look at David Blatner's video, mentioned above, I'm sure you'll find a solution there.

D

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 29, 2017 Jan 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

North American Prepress uses sRGB for the default RGB colorspace. Anything you create in InDesign will have the sRGB colorspace. The images from Photoshop will retain the Adobe 1998 profile if you saved them embedded in the images, or if you tag them as Adobe1998 in inDesign.

The mixed colorspace profiles may be the route of you problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 30, 2017 Jan 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your response Theresa. North American Prepress actually does use Adobe 1998 as the default RGB space, but, at any rate, I've made sure this document is assigned the Adobe 1998 space.

The David Blatner video had a ton of good info, but unfortunately didn't reveal any settings I have off or steps I'm missing.

I'm pretty much stumped.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 30, 2017 Jan 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

As an experiment, I exported a page as a hi-res JPG and printed that from Photoshop, with good results. So, really not sure what's the problem with InDesign!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines