• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Transparent images for indesign

Community Beginner ,
Jan 29, 2017 Jan 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am very familiar with indesign and importing transparent images for print. I need to build a document in indesign that will be viewed only on web or mobile. I must use indesign. The document will be very image heavy. It seems that indesign does not see the transparency of a png8 but it might be excepting png24 with transparent background. Will it always except the png24 transparency. I know I can use .psd or .tiff but the final file size of this document is crucial.

Open to any advice.

I am on the latest version of CC and working on a Mac.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 29, 2017 Jan 29, 2017

It seems that indesign does not see the transparency of a png8 but it might be excepting png24 with transparent background.

PNG-8 does not support transparency. Like GIF, it's 8-bit and that means it is limited to 256 colors.

PNG-24 does support transparency. Like JPEG, it is 24-bit and supports 16.7 million colors. In addition to supporting background transparency and background matting, the PNG‑24 format supports multilevel transparency. You can have up to 256 degrees of transparency from opaque

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I need to build a document in indesign that will be viewed only on web or mobile."

Want about using Publish Online or maybe using Adobe Muse?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am going to Publish online! Love the capabilities there. I must have a backup in case of lost internet connection. Which for this user is a real possibility. Publish online with the download PDF is the perfect solve for this. It is just the PDF file size I am limited to that messes everything up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could also consider Fixed Layout ePub format,which isn't reliant on Adobe servers and it can be monetised.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will look into if that is an option. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 04, 2017 Feb 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Derek,

Muse looks like a great option. However, I don't see a way to go horizontal from page to page. Like you would with a publishe donline  indesign document. I will keep looking! Thanks for turning me on to the Muse option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would recommend using PDF/X-4, AI, PSD and TIFF files with transparency. PNG 8 does not support any transparency, PNG does only support reduced opacity, but not other blending modes as PDF or AI does.

If you have vectors with text use PDF/X-4 and AI, not any flattened PDF like PDF/X-3 or older and no PDF which was created via print, use only exported PDFs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems that indesign does not see the transparency of a png8 but it might be excepting png24 with transparent background.

PNG-8 does not support transparency. Like GIF, it's 8-bit and that means it is limited to 256 colors.

PNG-24 does support transparency. Like JPEG, it is 24-bit and supports 16.7 million colors. In addition to supporting background transparency and background matting, the PNG‑24 format supports multilevel transparency. You can have up to 256 degrees of transparency from opaque to completely transparent, so you can blend the edges of an image smoothly with any background color. Not all browsers support multilevel transparency, however.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Barb,

i appreciate it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines