• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

New to RoboHelp and help authoring

Explorer ,
Aug 07, 2008 Aug 07, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am new to RoboHelp and help authoring. Please excuse my lack of skillful use of language/ lingo. I have a help file that my company used for a client-server application. I need to adapt it for an upcoming Web application. I don't have the first clue where to begin or what to do. I've been told to save the help file to a new location to see if it builds another tree structure. I've also been told to save each (project within the help file?) individually and to test first. I guess my first question is how do I go about saving/storing each element of the help file individually? What is the best structure for the web? Honestly until I get to a training class I'm hoping someone will take me under their wing and give me some guidance. I realize that's a mighty tall order. I'm praying for a miracle and hoping there is an angel out there just waiting in the wings to rescue me!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi rccrcoleman and welcome to heaven You'll find these forums full of useful tips and RH related information.

First off, you need to ask where the help will reside as this will help you decide what type of help file output to use. If you have a web application, it is likely that it will be web based which normally means you will have WebHelp output. If you open a RH project you'll this listed in the Single Source Layout folder. Try double clicking on this on a test project and just accept all the defaults. You'll end up with some output for you to look at.

I have a lot of questions myself about the existing help file. Was it created in RH? If so, what version? What format is it in? Unfortunately these are just your starter for ten but we need to know these answers before advising further.

Please feel free to post back on anything I've said. We were all in your shoes at some time or another and remember it well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry I should have said that testing just part of the existing help file should be fairly easy. Just copy the directory where your source files exist in Windows Explorer. Then open up the copy in RH. There you can play to your hearts content.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then, of course, you have to be sure that you're opening the RH project source files, not the output.

Good luck,
Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First two stupid questions are: how do I determine where the source files are and how do I make the distinction between the source files and the output. Seriously when I said I was clueless it was obviously a huge understatement.
Also, from the information I've been able to gather, the help files I'm converting were created in RoboHelp v5 and the format is HTML. Can't be 100% positive on the version, it's a long story that makes me cringe, so for all intents and purposes I'm going to say v5 is my final answer. I swear if I can get through this I'll be master of the universe or at the very least I'll certainly feel that way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, if I locate the 'source file' and copy it how then do I go about opening it in RoboHelp? I swear I wouldn't blame anyone for walking away in total disgust at this point.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In V5, you're looking for any folder that contains filenames with .xpj and .cpd extensions (among others).

Launch the .xpj file to open the project. In the Project Manager tab, see which is the default Single Source Layout (that's the output that was being generated the last time someone worked on it). Right click on that and select Properties.

The first dialog will tell you: 1) where the output was being generated and what the Start Page was named; 2) what Conditional Build Expression was used; and 3) what the Default Topic (the first topic that displays when the help is launched) was named.

Digest that much and come back for more (wouldn't want to force-feed you at first).

Good luck,
Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 08, 2008 Aug 08, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I may add to Leon's post, this does presuppose that the source files were created in RoboHelp. Something that I don't think we have yet established. In fact I don't think we have even established what type of output was produced last time around.

Anyway your source files will be a collection on mainly .HTM files (one for each help file topic) in a folder somewhere. Ask around and see if anyone can give you a clue as to where they may be. The Developers maybe able to help or is there someone who was the boss of the person who originally wrote the help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also you say they need you to update the help. What format is the help currently in and where does it reside (e.g. a single file on a PC or multiple files on a server/website). Many thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have sent an e-mail to a few of my co-workers that can help clear the fog. I'm going to paste the questions I've asked and I'm hoping you can indicate whether or not I'm asking the right questions. Text surrounded by () are mearly my assumptions at this point. I've asked these folks to correct me if my assumptions are incorrect.

Where do the help files reside now?

Where will the help files reside in the Web application?

Were the existing help files created in RoboHelp? ( yes.)

What version? (assuming v5 but this only an assumption.)

What format? ( HTML)

Where are the source files now?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is pretty much spot on rccrcoleman although I'd start with the last question as unless you have the source files you are potentially facing having to recreate ALL of them. If the old help was in a Microsoft HTML (.CHM) file there are ways you can use to extract the source files from it but we'll cross that bridge only if we have to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 11, 2008 Aug 11, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've yet to receive any response to my emails. What I have been able to determine with a reasonable amount of certainty is that our current Help project was written using Robohelp v5 and is in HTML format. The current help files were originally on a PC that experienced a hardware failure that is currently inaccessible. They were able to get the files off the hard drive though. I know the location of those files so if they are considered the source files then I'm golden. I have placed a copy of the folder containing those files in my employee folder (actually I'm in the process of doing it as I type this). I will be updating the files in RoboHelp HTML v7. I feel as if I'm trying to diffuse a bomb when I've never seen one in my life. Which of course is true thank goodness- I guess if I had to choose between my current dilemma and the bomb diffusing I'm not in such a bad situation after all. How am I doing so far?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While the files were being copied to my employee folder I received the following error message.
ERROR COPYING FILE OR FOLDER
Cannot remove folder Buttons. The filename or extension is too long.
Uh oh? I'm comparing what is currently in my folder against the folder I copied. I would expect them to be identical and they aren't. Massive confusion is beginning to set in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just out of curiosity, where is your employee folder? If it is on a network, you won't be able to work on the project from there. Project files must be stored on a local hard drive for consistent and expected results (unless there is version control in place).

If you are trying to load the folder on a network drive, try instead to copy them to the hard drive on your workstation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK we are getting there.

Before we go any further though can I check what you mean by "employee folder"? The reason I ask is that you must not work on the source files if there are located on a network drive. By all means backup to a network drive but ALWAYS work from a local drive. The reason for this is that RH uses an Access DB which are well known to have problems when run over a network.

So you should now have a set of files. One of them will be .XPJ file and this is the one you will need to open with RH. It is your project file. If you open it in RHv7, it may take awhile as this version updates the source files to effectively rewrite them. Without going into a lot of detail, previous versions wrote the underlying HTML using an old standard. RHv7 doesn't. This does mean that once you open your project in RHv7 you can not open it again in an earlier version. For this reason I'd strongly recommend you take a copy of your source for good measure before you do anything else.

Once your project is open, have a look around and you'll find a list of topics. Open one up by double clicking on it and you can edit away.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Those of us who use RH a lot tend to have a folder called something like C:\RH Source that contains our source files with each project in a separate folder (e.g. C:\RH Source\Project1, C:\RH Source\Project2, etc.). Long path names can cause problems. If your source is buried down inside a folder hierarchy it may be best to try the above approach.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To add to Colum's comments, it's a bad idea to use the "My documents" folder.

Use a directory directly off of the C drive. i.e. a REAL directory not a virtual one. This will protect your RH project against certain known issue that affect vitural drives....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok I have it on my C: drive in a folder titled Robhelp. It is identical to the file I copied so I'm thrilled. My IT guy wants me to work on the files from the network so that I don't lose my work. How can I make the IT guy happy while still working from my local. The IT guy has placed a copy of the source files in my employee folder (the name of the folder is IMPORTANT back up help). How do I backup to the network and keep any work safe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

quote:

Originally posted by: rccrcoleman
How can I make the IT guy happy while still working from my local.

Tell him there isn't much of a choice, if your company wants a functional Help project and output.
If he still protests, throw Cheeze Doodles and a bottle of YooHoo at him - that always appeases our IT guy.

As for protecting your data - sure, that is vital. I just use WinZip to zip up my entire project directory structure every few days and I store the zipped "backup" in my employee folder on the network. There, the IT guys can include it on a system back up as often as they please.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even better get your IT guys to write a batch file that you can run each day (or schedule it to run automatically) that backs up the source to your employee folder. After all those cheeze doodles they must owe you something

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 13, 2008 Aug 13, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok I'm looking through the folder and I'm not certain which file to open. I've found an .xpj file but its only 3 KB and that seems a little small to me. I've found a few .mpj files that are substantially larger. However I did open the 3 KB .xpj file and I'm seeing lots of pages with red x's through a question mark symbol, among other things. I'm don't know where or how to begin.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that's a good idea, sure. especially if they can do it remotely - they leave cheezy fingerprints all over my desk.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK I'm checking with my IT guy about the batch file. He's on his (rare) lunch hour so he hasn't gotten back to me yet. I'm not sure what exactly a batch file is or how it works. I have heard of these batch files and seen the gear icons but that's the extent of my experience. In either case I'm wondering at this point if I'd be safe working on the files using the copy I put on my C drive? The IT guy has stashed a back up in some undiclosed location. I felt much better after he told me that. I'm hoping that means I can't mess anything up. I'd feel alot better working on these things if I knew there was a failsafe. As Colum said earlier :
Those of us who use RH a lot tend to have a folder called something like C:\RH Source that contains our source files with each project in a separate folder (e.g. C:\RH Source\Project1, C:\RH Source\Project2, etc.). Long path names can cause problems. If your source is buried down inside a folder hierarchy it may be best to try the above approach.

This seems to be the case in our folder as well at least from what I've been able to determine. I'm still in the process of trying to find the folder that contains filenames with ,xpj and .cpd extensions (among others)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

There are a number of free programs available for automating backups. We use BASK, which you can download from here:

http://www.5starshare.com/BASK-soft18055.html

You just tell it which files or folders to back up, where to store the backups, and how frequently to do so.

Pete

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 12, 2008 Aug 12, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or just do a manual copy using windows explorer to your network storage location that's backed up ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp