• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I need help with Photoshop!!!

New Here ,
Jan 29, 2017 Jan 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to create a logo in Photoshop and having some issues remembering how to create an opaque mask? I basically have a layer that is a solid colored circle and I am trying to "erase" a silhouette out of it. Anyone able to walk me through it? Here is an example that I found online. IMG_9680.JPG

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi emalieg42992226​: you posted your question in the non-technical Lounge forum. I'll move it over to Photoshop for you.

And to clarify your question, are you asking how to cut out the symbols from the black circle so that the background is visible?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank You! And that is exactly what I am trying to do!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

What you need to do is have your Symbol(s) on a separate Layer from your black circle. Then click your symbols Layer icon whilst holding down Ctrl/Cmd, this will select the symbol. Next click on the Circle layer and hit delete. Please see screenshots.Screen Shot 2017-01-29 at 20.53.31.pngScreen Shot 2017-01-29 at 20.58.53.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That works, or alternatively, you might take a non-destructive approach.

1. Open the Layers panel.
  2. Click the name of the circle layer to make it active (note the highlighting behind the active layer.)
  3. Ctrl/Cmd + click on the symbol thumbnail (outlined in orange) to load it as a selection.
    Photoshop CCss_006.png
  4. Click the eyeball to hide the symbol layer, but leave the circle layer active.
    Photoshop CCss_004.png
  5. Layer > Layer Mask > Hide selection.
    Photoshop CCss_005.png

Destructive techniques delete pixels that cannot be recovered later. Non-destructive techniques allow you to change your mind later. I prefer to keep my options open!

Note: I opted to use pixels for the black circle. You can do this with vector shapes as well, but the steps are slightly different.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines