• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Spiral Bound Brochure and Gutter Bleed?

Engaged ,
Jan 29, 2017 Jan 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm designing a 11" x 8.5" 12-page, spiral bound brochure using InDesign CC 2017. My InDesign document is setup with Facing Pages checked, so I can see each spread. Bleeding the images on the outside perimeter of the brochure design is easy, but how do I bleed the images next to the gutter without screwing up the layout?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 29, 2017 Jan 29, 2017

Hi,

below is a link to a free script by Harbs from in-tools that could do the job for you moving the pages as individual ones.

But to make that work without problems you need some preparation:

Before:

Do a duplicate of your document before running the script.

1. Make sure you do not have any elements that go over the spine.

Also and especially on master pages!

Due to a bug with InDesign exposing a rounding error, make sure that elements touching the spine are a bit off the spine:

0.01 mm off will do.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a screen shot that shows what I'm talking about. The area in red is where the spiral binding will be. As you can see, I've designed this so that the colors and images butt at the spine, but my printer needs a 1/8" bleed. How do I create the bleed?

Screen Shot 2017-01-29 at 9.20.20 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And here's what's happening with the printer proof.

Screen Shot 2017-01-29 at 9.27.22 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

below is a link to a free script by Harbs from in-tools that could do the job for you moving the pages as individual ones.

But to make that work without problems you need some preparation:

Before:

Do a duplicate of your document before running the script.

Due to a bug with InDesign exposing a rounding error, make sure that elements touching the spine are a bit off the spine:

0.01 mm off will do.

2. Do the left and right margins (the margin guides) with the same values or set all margin values for all pages to zero.

That's because otherwise by using the script elements on pages would move a bit after moving the pages.

( That's a bug with InDesign, not with the script. )

After moving the pages do your inner bleed.

The script:

Separate Pages Script | in-tools.com

About the problem moving facing pages to individual ones:

http://indesignsecrets.com/breaking-pages-apart-to-bleed-off-a-spine.php

Regards,

Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another note:

A third step preparing the document before running the script:

3. Detach all elements from all masters would be best, I think.

Then remove all elements from all masters.

Save the document to a new name before running the script.

And make a duplicate or a backup you can always return to if something goes wrong.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you set up the document as a facing page document? You can pull them apart using the Page tool, but they need to be non-facing pages first. You can change that in the Document Setup. You'll have to go through and grab your spreads and de-select "Allow Selected Spread to Shuffle" in the Pages panel. This is easier of course if you haven't already set up your document, but it's not impossible.

After that, use the Page tool, make sure "Objects Move with Page" is selected in the Control panel, choose the upper left reference point, then change the X-coordinate amount to accommodate the amount of bleed needed (leaving enough room for both pages). Pull out all the necessary bleeds.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Erica. I tried your suggestion, but for some reason I can't select the upper left reference point. I'm really surprised that Adobe doesn't have something built into ID that will handle this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 30, 2017 Jan 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It has. You can keep spreads (page panel menu)  and draw single pages out of a spread in the page panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you follow these instructions from Launder you don't need the script. You have a small document so this shouldn't take much time. The important thing is  what he lists in 1.  before following the steps in the link. Then pull the bleed out in the gutters in your separate pages.

Before:

Do a duplicate of your document before starting.

0.01 mm off will do.

About the problem moving facing pages to individual ones:

http://indesignsecrets.com/breaking-pages-apart-to-bleed-off-a-spine.php

Screen Shot 2017-01-30 at 10.51.38 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks everyone. I appreciate all of your help. As it turns out, my printer was able to fix this in pre-press using the press-ready Adobe Acrobat file I provided.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines