• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Indesign CS6 overprint preview (W) showing blank doc

Community Beginner ,
Jan 29, 2017 Jan 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have restarted Indesign and even used the command + option + control + shift to remove preferences and still nothing.

this is kind of a big deal as I am working on something time sensitive and i have two days left to finish it (always how things happen), but this is really freaking me out that i am not able to see anything when i use the shortcut w and see nothing. just a blank page. 

i even tried checking for updates. nothing. and right now i have no idea where my discs are to reinstall. anyone able to help?

i appreciate any help anyone can offer.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Guru , Jan 30, 2017 Jan 30, 2017

The template that you downloaded has two layers. The Top Layers is called Artwork Guidelines. It is written in italic (slanted) text. That indicates that anything on that layer will not print.

That also means that it won't show up in the Preview mode.

Put your artwork on the lower layer called Your Design and you will be able to see it in the Preview mode.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Engaged ,
Jan 30, 2017 Jan 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You haven't really given us much to go on... would you like to elaborate?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Overprint preview is different from Preview mode (W).

Which one are you talking about?

If you mean Preview mode, it looks like a memory issue (but I don't know much about hardware troubles).

diff.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You haven't given us any system specifications, either. Almost impossible to help you at this point.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My guess would be that he means normal preview, not overprint, and that elements are set to non-print (check the Attributes panel to see if non printing for elements is checked) or that it all is on a layer that is set to non print.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like a good guess.

I would place a bet on the non-print layer.

Sometimes things are so obvious that we miss them ^^

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You'll have to forgive my novice at forums. This is literally the first time I have ever had an issue I couldn't figure out on my own and have never inquired on a forum before.

I have a macbook pro running adobe indesign (CS6). I am just trying to see the card I am designing, without guides and bounding boxes etc (distracting to look at overall placement etc.) what the finished print preview of the item for print will look like. I have always been able to use the shortcut of the W key to be able to see this. But when I do it on this item the entire board looks white.

I have checked the layers, all are showing as set to print that i can tell.

It seems after a bit more troubleshooting on my own, that If I open my own document and put all the elements in it, i can use the W (to preview without the boxes and guides etc) *but* if I use the template that i downloaded from Moo (here: Adobe InDesign Template (idml)) that seems to be where the problem lies... but I can't seem to figure out WHERE. I have designed multiple cards before with this template download before, and never had this issue which is why I am at a loss.

JointyJr

Frans van der Geest

vinny38

BobLevine

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i have found a workaround in the meantime, but i am still very curious as to what the issue is or what i might be missing that is in that template that isn't allowing me to use the w to preview that isn't in the new docs i use. it's wildly frustrating and i would love to know for future reference, and also so i don't accidentally set something up the way that is and have the same issue crop up elsewhere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The template that you downloaded has two layers. The Top Layers is called Artwork Guidelines. It is written in italic (slanted) text. That indicates that anything on that layer will not print.

That also means that it won't show up in the Preview mode.

Put your artwork on the lower layer called Your Design and you will be able to see it in the Preview mode.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this was it. i feel like a complete moron. LOL. thank you SO much! I have no idea how i have designed multiple cards before on this template and never had this issue. Literally have designed 5 other cards using this and never had this issue. I am going to chalk it up to having been awake for over 24 hours working on the computer for 18 of those. hahaha. I sincerely appreciate your help! ❤️

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Need to check this:

Screen Shot 2017-01-30 at 16.23.14.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 17, 2017 Mar 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot-.jpg

I seem to have the same problem but the solution above didn't work for mine. It's still blank after checking the box. (I did close the box out and tried again and it still doesn't work) I can see my work in "normal" mode.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Mar 20, 2017 Mar 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems you have a totally different problem then, want to share that file like graphiterack did so I/we can see it can be resolved?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeni,

indeed, your problem looks like a different one.

Could be that your image inside the container frame is out of sight, because it has been moved.

1. A situation where the frame is holding an image ( the "center donut" is visible ), but no image is visible.

1-ImageNotVisibleInContainerFrame.png

Reason A: The image was moved inside the frame.
Select the "center donut" and the check the info at the Transform panel.
You'll see a plus (or a minus) sign at the x/y values for the position of the image.

And you should see the edges of the image on the pasteboard if you zoom out.

2-ImageNotVisibleInContainerFrame.png

You could bring back the image to a different position relative to its container by edition the x/y values or using one of the fit commands.

Other reasons:
Reason B: You used an effect on the image.
E.g. Opacity set to 0 %.

3-ImageNotVisibleInContainerFrame.png

There could be different reasons as well:

A clipping path that is showing only parts of the image. And it is currently psoitioned outside of the bounds of the frame holding the image. Without seeing the document it's hard to tell what's going on…

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm very familiar with the boxes and the little donut thingy inside. That wasn't the problem. It worked just fine in the normal view. It was only in the preview mode that it went blank. Since I hadn't gotten very deep in the project I deleted it and started again and appears to be working now so I guess I'll just move on from here.  Thanks so much! I will make note of the Layers Option box from Jointyler though as that is a great thing for me to remember!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Preview View doesn't show you frame edges, the "donut thingy," guides and so on. That's because it's a print preview. It's the way it's supposed to work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I understand that, but it's supposed to show page content as it will print, and I just got a white page. (you can see my screenshot above) That was my original issue but after starting over, it worked out. Whatever happened, corrected itself on the new document. I'm just thankful I only had a couple of elements on the page!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 08, 2020 Jan 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

OMG thank you!  I just finally made the switch from CS6 and was curing Adobe over this.  THANK YOU!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines