• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

combining layer masks

New Here ,
Jan 29, 2017 Jan 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Ps CS4 I was able to click and drag a layer mask to another layer mask. Depending upon which key, or combination of keys, that I held down, I could replace, add to, or subtract from the destination layer mask. It doesn't seem to work that way in Ps CC 2017. I am trying to subtract two smaller selection layer masks from another larger selection layer mask.  Any help will be appreciated. Thanks...

[Moved from non-technical Forum Lounge to specific Program forum... Mod]

[Here is the list of all Adobe forums... https://forums.adobe.com/welcome]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 29, 2017 Jan 29, 2017

Hi. You can do this:

1. Press the D key for activating the Foreground/Background default colors (Black and white).
  2. Load a selection of the one layer mask: cmd + click the Layer mask icon
  3. With the selection active select other Layer mask icon and use Cmd + Backspace or Cmd + Option + Backspace for add or subtract areas from this mask.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jan 29, 2017 Jan 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. You can do this:

1. Press the D key for activating the Foreground/Background default colors (Black and white).
  2. Load a selection of the one layer mask: cmd + click the Layer mask icon
  3. With the selection active select other Layer mask icon and use Cmd + Backspace or Cmd + Option + Backspace for add or subtract areas from this mask.
Marlon Ceballos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 30, 2017 Jan 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[Replying to the thread starter]

I have never heard of doing what you describe, but I wonder if you are thinking of using Calculations to combine multiple Alpha channels?  I'm trying to find a decent tutorial for you, because it is a wee bit complex.

I 'think' this book exert from Bert Monroy covers it (I have not read it all).  It was Bert who introduced me to the technique in one of his Lynda.com tutorials (I think from the Times Square series).

Channel calculations in Photoshop

I am not sure the above guides cover what I am talking about.  Using Calculations to combine two channels into an Alpha channel (mask) is very powerful, but Bert used both layer and vector mask if I recall correctly, which suggests part of his selection was made with the pen tool.   I'm away from my computer for a couple of hours now, but will look again later.

[EDIT]   A bit of a 'whoops' moment there.  The forum threw a wee hick-up as I was trying to reply to the OP, and I ended up quoting Marliton.   I'll edit out the quote, but sorry if it confused before I noticed my cock up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 30, 2017 Jan 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks, Marliton and everyone else. After my post I fooled around with it and figured it out as you describe it. After activating the marching ants on the target layer mask, then hover the "hand" cursor over the secondary layer mask you wish to add to it, or subtract from it.

CTRL+SHFT will reveal a "+" on the hand cursor, and CTRL+ALT will reveal a "-". Decide whether to add or subtract the secondary layer mask then simply click it. It will be added or subtracted from the target layer mask. This is obviously for PC, Marliton described the technique for MAC.

In the olden days of Ps CS4 we would click and drag the secondary mask to the primary mask (with the appropriate keys held down to implement adding or subtracting the secondary layer mask to/from the primary), now there is no dragging involved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines