• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Trim Paths Causing Weird Effects

Community Beginner ,
Jan 30, 2017 Jan 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I imported an outline of the United States from Illustrator into After Effects CC 2017 and am trying to make it appear that it is being drawn on. I right-clicked the imported AI layer and clicked "Create Shape From Vector Layer". Next, I went into the shape layer and added the Trim Paths effect to it. When I try to change the End Percentage, with the intent to establish keyframes from 0% to 100%, making it look like the shape is being drawn onto the page. However, when I do this, I'm getting weird fills that show up, and the stroke outline isn't being drawn on like I was hoping. I just want the outline to be drawn on, with no fill. Here is an example of what it's doing:

Screen Shot 2017-01-30 at 12.06.33 PM.png

Any ideas about what I'm doing wrong? Thank you so much!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jan 30, 2017 Jan 30, 2017

Trim paths works efficiently on strokes with no fill. the only way to get your Ai strokes as strokes and no fill is to make sure that in Ai you set your stroke width to uniform and brush size to basic.

if one of these two is different, you will get a fill outline instead of a stroke.

if this still does not work, show as a full screenshot of your Ae interface including your shape contents setup so we can see what exactly is wrong here.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trim paths works efficiently on strokes with no fill. the only way to get your Ai strokes as strokes and no fill is to make sure that in Ai you set your stroke width to uniform and brush size to basic.

if one of these two is different, you will get a fill outline instead of a stroke.

if this still does not work, show as a full screenshot of your Ae interface including your shape contents setup so we can see what exactly is wrong here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aha! I had an artistic brush stroke applied to the map in the Illustrator file. Changing it to basic solved the problem. Thank you so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great! thanks for the feedback.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 29, 2019 Apr 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been trying to solve this issue for at least 2 years. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 15, 2019 Jun 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been experiencing the sam thing YET when I go into illustrator to change the brush, it won't change to basic.

the image is from Adobe stock..

Thanks

Grace

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YET when I go into illustrator to change the brush, it won't change to basic.

can you upload the file? or show some screenshots? also - try in the Illustrator​ forum

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2019-06-15 at 2.51.17 PM.jpegScreen Shot 2019-06-15 at 2.51.28 PM.jpegScreen Shot 2019-06-15 at 2.51.17 PM.jpeg

tried recording y screen but it won't let me upload

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

press Ctrl+Y so we can see the outlines. my guess is that these are not path's but fill outlines originally, so to make a path reveal them you will have to create the path yourself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines