• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

After Effects Preference file on network drive? How to move to local drive?

New Here ,
Dec 14, 2016 Dec 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I work at a large corporation which is highly dependent on external network drives where you are supposed to store a lot of your information. Somehow my version of After Effects has its preference folder set to an external drive which means that After Effects does not launch when I am not on the network. 

I was hoping that I could change whatever setting that is to my local drive so that I could launch AE whether I am on the network or not.

I cannot find this file anywhere......

Does anyone have a clue where I can find this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 14, 2016 Dec 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to your AE preferences General tab and look around.

Screen Shot 2016-12-14 at 8.08.21 AM.png

Down at the bottom you'll find a link that reveals the Preferences file no matter where it is located. You will have to launch AE to use this feature so I guess you will have to be connected to the network.

You can delete the preferences file and then relaunch AE. A new one will automatically be created. If you connect to the network, launch AE, find the preferences file, delete it, then disconnect from the network After Effects will not launch then something else is wrong.

I would check with IT and figure out how they installed AE. It sounds like they did some kind of custom install or they have set up some non standard way of handling your Adobe user library.

You can do the same with Media and Disk Cache - find and change the folder.

It might help us figure out what is going on if we knew more details and had a copy of any error messages you are receiving.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 30, 2017 Jan 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi davidkoblesky,

I see this issue is now over a month old. Have you found a solution for this irritating problem? Please let us know!

Thanks!
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines