• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Auto Number Document Headings

Community Beginner ,
Jan 30, 2017 Jan 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was wondering if there is a way to get indesign to automatically number document headings and subheadings as I add them. I'm looking for something like:

1.0 Heading 1

1.1 Subheading 1

2.0 Heading 2

2.1 Subheading 2

that will automatically update as I add or delete headings and subheadings?

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 30, 2017 Jan 30, 2017

You bet. I wrote up the steps for one of my students. Take a look and let me know if you have any questions:

Adobe InDesign: Numbering Chapters, Subheads, Tables & Figures - Rocky Mountain Training

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You bet. I wrote up the steps for one of my students. Take a look and let me know if you have any questions:

Adobe InDesign: Numbering Chapters, Subheads, Tables & Figures - Rocky Mountain Training

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, that is really helpful! I have one other question, is it possible to have the auto number be one font size and colour while the rest of the font I type be another size and colour?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Absolutely. Set up a Character style and assign the Character Style through the Bullets and Numbering dialog box.

InDesign CCss_020.png

InDesign CCss_021.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay so I can set up a character style but when it applies to everything i type not just the numbers. Would it be my number format I've put in:

^1.0^t

or is it something else?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You want to make sure not to assign the character style to any of the paragraph. And if that already happened, select the text and Alt/opt click on [None] at the top of the character styles panel to remove it.

Then, just assign it to the numbers in Bullets & Numbering as per the final screen shot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks, that is exactly what I had. Thanks for the help, really appreciate it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines