• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to fix lens metadata with lightroom.

Explorer ,
Jan 31, 2017 Jan 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ,

my photo have this metadata :

LensInfo : 105mm f/2.8  

I wish to fix this metadata into :

Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Macro .

I have checked my photo with :

online metadata and exif viewer

How with lightroom ?

Many thanks in advance.

Martino.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 31, 2017 Jan 31, 2017

Lightroom does (can) not manipulate the EXIF Metadata. You can do this with ExifTool.

Here's how to manually select the corresponding lens: http://lightroomkillertips.com/what-to-do-when-lightroom-cant-find-your-lens-profile/

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom does (can) not manipulate the EXIF Metadata. You can do this with ExifTool.

Here's how to manually select the corresponding lens: http://lightroomkillertips.com/what-to-do-when-lightroom-cant-find-your-lens-profile/

--- Got your issue resolved? Please label the response as 'Correct Answer' to help your fellow community members find a solution to similar problems. ---

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry ... hit enter too soon.

I'm using this lens too, on a Nikon. I never had any issue with LR automatically picking the correct lens correction.

Please describe your issue with more details and add the exact LR version as well as your OS.

--- Got your issue resolved? Please label the response as 'Correct Answer' to help your fellow community members find a solution to similar problems. ---

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello F. McLion.

Thanks because you answer me.

Lightroom function lens correction  is a different thing compared to have complete lens data.

I know to use lens correction function in lightroom.

Is there one video for fix lens data with exif tool?

I've used exif tool for fix gps data in one raw file .

I never found a worst software .

I have windows 7 , and lightroom 6.1 ( CC 2015.5.1 )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you use ExifToolGUI? It is very easy to change all data with it.

However, I still don't get why you do not have the correct metadata in the file as well as why you need to correct it if not for LR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my metadata read  correct data : 105mm f/2.8 and not  Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Macro .

I wish to read Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Macro.

Is possible with lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 07, 2018 Apr 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have similar problem too.  I have two Simga DC lens, one 30mm and another one 18-300mm.  See enclosed image will tell (scope down and look at the lens part then will tell).  No problem with those Sigma DG lens though!  I have checked the Adobe photoshop has the same problem.  I am using updated Adobe Lightroom Classic CC and Photoshop CC.

LR_metadata_problem.jpeg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 07, 2018 Apr 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Following up the above message, I also attach here with the image captured from my site when I used the LR output to web function; here the metadata on the bottom of the photo!  When I asked our local Sigma services, the technician told me it was Adobe problem.

LR_metadata_problem2.jpeg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 08, 2018 Apr 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think its an Adobe issue.

Can you share a file that shows the issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 09, 2018 Apr 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, F. McLion.  Thanks for the reply.  I did question about that when I talked to the technician of our local Sigma services because the Adobe software could show Sigma DG line lens properly, only DC lens not.  He countered back me if I tried the Simga software (Sigma PhotoPro 6).  I told him not.  Therefore, back home, I tried opening couple of my photos taken with my Sigma sq H camera using Sigma PhotoPro 6.  The lens (DC lens) information was shown properly there!

F. McLion, I do not have files in hands; however, if you click on this link: Flowers Gallery (which was generated by Adobe LightRoom Classic CC and you roll forward and you will see the line underneath each photo.  Thanks for your attention.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 10, 2018 Apr 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To be able to further help you we need a sample file directly from the camera.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 11, 2018 Apr 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, F. McLion.

I just went through some of my photos imported to LR library.  I did find  from my library those taken before somehow August 9th, 2017, the lens metadata were properly displayed:

sigma_lens_metadata1.jpeg

those taken after that date were however not properly displayed:

sigma_lens_metadata2.jpeg

I have two photos on this dropbox link: sigma photos 

Hope you can get access and do some check.

Thanks.

Eric

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 11, 2018 Apr 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Between the 2 shots you have upgraded your camera firmware from 1.1.0.0512 to 1.2.0.06EB.

Comparing the EXIF data clearly shows that the later version does not correctly fill in the LensModel field.

The Sigma Software may work because it may use the LensInfo and Make fields. As it looks, LR needs the LensModel to detect/show the correct lens.

From the uploaded files:

OK:

Failure:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 12, 2018 Apr 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Wow.  F.McLion, how could you be able to tell from the two photos that my camera firmware had changed?  Yes, the pursuing clearly tells it is the matter of Sigma.  I have told our local Sigma services to look at this discussion. Hope that they can report to Sigma headquarter to look at the matter.  It is a problem esp. when looking at my photo site where the Exif showing the jabbering.

Thanks F. McLion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines