• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Convert to DNG when files not 100% supported in LR, something lost?

Community Beginner ,
Jan 31, 2017 Jan 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Should I wait with conversion until full support? (E-M1 II)

I usually convert to DNG on import, but I dont know if that is the right thing to do before LR fully supports the files from my E-M1 II.

Tom

[Moved from the non-support, general, all-of-Adobe forums Lounge to a product-specific support forum - moderator]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 31, 2017 Jan 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Either way, leave it as RAW or convert to DNG, you get the same results.

You might want to try repeating the process when full support is available, probably in the next update to Lightroom, to see if the results match what you get if you convert the files today.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 01, 2017 Feb 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for replying!

If I understand correctly you are saying it doesnt matter if I convert now, but that I might want to wait with converting...

My first pictures are already converted, so I guess Ill waith with converting the rest until the next update.

Cheers

Tom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

tomg96218815 wrote:

If I understand correctly you are saying it doesnt matter if I convert now, but that I might want to wait with converting...

Not exactly what I said, I think I said to compare the results from now with converting again later when full support is announced. The choice to wait now was not what I was referring to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To clarify what I was talking about, and what this thread is about, I said

Not exactly what I said, I think I said to compare the results from now with converting again later when full support is announced. The choice to wait now was not what I was referring to.

I'm not talking about converting to DNG. I'm talking about the RAW conversion (or de-mosaicing, if you like that word better) of the original pixels to a viewable image. The support for this camera is preliminary, and so it is conceivable that when the support is finalize, the images may appear different than if you do it now. That's the comparison you need to do when the time is right. DNG vs RAW is irrelevant here, that's not the topic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have worked with both DNG files and the native NEF raw files from my cameras. I have seen virtually no difference in the results from either file type. The DNG file contains the exact same raw image data. It's just in a different file container that standardizes where the metadata is stored. Generally speaking, I don't convert to DNG. I have plenty of disk space and I don't feel that the  space savings is significant enough to take the extra time to do the conversion. But there is nothing wrong or inferior about the DNG format and conversion process.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the version of LR you are using does not support a camera you can't use it to convert RAW files to DNG on import. LR does not support the camera model and won't see the images. In that case the images simply won't show up.

So if you are using LR to convert RAW images to the DNG format on import LR Does support the camera model.

As far as I know and can see, and I have tested this, the DNG file retains all the quality of the native RAW file

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LR/ACR have only preliminary support for my RAW files. Up to now I have converted them to DNG as I usually do.

When my RAW files are fully supported I expect them to look better, as the files seem to look better with other software.

The question is; will my already converted DNG files (the RAW files are deleted), also benefit from this full support of the RAW files, or will the DNG be stuck in the preliminary state they were in when converted..?

I will do as dj_paige suggest and keep the RAW files for now, only wish I thought of this before I converted and deleted the RAW files. Hopefully it wont be a problem, and Ill survive if something is lost.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Depending on what the changes are between preliminary support and full support, your existing DNG files could show a difference. Remember that all adjustments made in Lightroom are stored in the catalog and not applied to the DNG file. The DNG file remains in its original state. What is it about your DNG files now that doesn't look right to you? What do you expect to be improved?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With the current preliminary support DNG and RAW look the same. When full support arrives I know the RAW files will look better, but Im not sure about the already converted DNG files. Will they stay in a sort of preliminary support state? The new full support is after all for the RAW files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When properly setup to convert a proprietary raw (lossless setting for example), the raw data in the DNG is as raw and the same as the proprietary raw it was converted from so no visual difference using an Adobe product. Proprietary metadata, data that only the manufacturers converters understand and can use, not so much (not at all).

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

How do you "know" that the raw files will look better when Lightroom has full support for them? As far as the DNG files are concerned, there is nothing about Lightroom that will make your existing DNG files remain in a "preliminary support" state because the DNG file is never modified. It is the same raw data that was in the original raw file. The DNG file is always in its pristine state. So when the update is released that provides full support for your files, any changes or improvements will be available for the existing DNG files, just the same as for new raw files. But that doesn't necessarily mean that your raw files will "look better" in the final release. Making images look better is what Lightroom is all about. It might be necessary for you to create some presets or your own special default settings in order to make the images look the way you want them to look.

I have personally used Lightroom with seven different cameras. And for each one of those cameras I found it very helpful to create my own default settings that are applied when images are imported. It often takes some personal customization in order to make images look better when they are first imported.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines