• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Some URLs opening on local disk

New Here ,
Feb 01, 2017 Feb 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've created a large PDF document with a lot of hyperlinks. I need all of the links to open in the internet browser as they are webpages.

However, my PC automatically tries to open some on the local disk and treats them as a file? How do I ensure all are opened in the internet browser? The link settings are all the same which as why I am confused that some work OK while others will not open in the browser.

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 01, 2017 Feb 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you create these links in Acrobat, or where they converted from another application? If the latter, what was the source format, and how did you convert it, exactly?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 02, 2017 Feb 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I must admit, I did create them in another application.

I used Nitro to create but I'm now editing in Adobe DC. Is there any fix for this within Adobe? Even when I remove and add the link again in Adobe it still tries to redirect to the local disk.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What exact steps are you taking when you add the link in Acrobat?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK... so I went back to the PDF to retrace my steps when removing link and adding again and it seems to actually work now!

I am right-clicking on the link, selecting 'Delete Link', then Edit PDF, highlight URL, 'Create Link', 'Open A Webpage', retyping the URL and it seems to work! No longer redirecting to the local disk.

This was not the case last night but I suspect perhaps I was trying to delete the link using a different method - probably by Edit PDF -> deleting the URL text, rewriting it, and then Creating a Link but I suspect that deleting the URL and rewriting it may still mean that the faulty Nitro code is there. Right?

Fingers crossed, this is now sorted. I will go back and try and relink everything in the document now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK - a new update. I realise now that I am struggling to change links that have a hyphen in them. The method above does not work and any links with a hyphen are continuing to link to the local disk.

Any suggestions or help would be much appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do you mean? You're creating a link to a web-page with a hyphen in the URL and it's pointing to a local file??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's trying to open the hyperlink on my local disk.

For example - link created is www.test-link.com

Instead of opening this URL in my internet browser, it changes the URL to :///C:/Users/MyName/Documents/www.test-link.com which obviously does not open in the browser.

It's trying to open the link on the local disk where the PDF file is located. Very confusing and frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right - I think I may have found a solution. If I remove the link and DON'T try to add it again, Adobe seems to then recognise the link in its correct form after I have deleted the original link.

It must be an issue with originally creating this PDF in Nitro where I had to specify that I wanted all the URLs to be hyperlinked. It looks like Adobe does this as the norm without having to select anything or tell it to do so!

Fingers crossed this is now sorted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Acrobat and Reader and some other PDF viewers do this by default - that is, link from valid URLs in the text.

I think your problem comes if you were really typing "www.test-link.com". This is a valid URL meaning "a file called www.test-link.comin the same folder as the current file". What you are missing is the http:// at the start. Browsers assume this by default, but most other things do not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines