Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

New layer from visible not working

Community Beginner ,
Feb 01, 2017 Feb 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

On CC2017.0.1 the cmd+opt+Shift+E command has stopped working on my iMac.  When I use the command it still places a new layer above the visible layers below, but it does not reflect all the edits applied.  More often than not the new layer is a copy of the background layer.  I get the same results with the merge visible and flatten image commands.  Anyone else having this problem?  Any way to fix it?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I don't see that here - it appears to work correctly on Windows 10

One caveat though - and this is very image dependant. Are you viewing at 100% before and after? You will sometimes see a difference due to the way zooming out uses previews at any zoom less than 100%. How different depends very much on the image and the adjustments and blending modes - usually it is not noticeable but occasionally it is very visible.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 02, 2017 Feb 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply.  I have added a couple screen shots of my problem to the topic. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure you have the top-most layer active when you use the command. The new layer command makes the new layer from the active layer and all the layers below it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After playing around with some images I have found that my problem is related to Levels adjustment layers.  The problem appears I apply a Levels adjustment then try to flatten the image or generate a new layer from visible.  The levels adjustment either doesn't render at all or incompletely (similar to a lower opacity).  This does not occur with any of the other adjustment layer options.  Interestingly I  can use Curves to apply similar edits attempted in Levels without problem.  I have included a couple screen shots, one with the layer stack active (bottom) and the other with the layer stack flattened (top).  I will report this to Adobe.

Flattened.pngUnflattened, layer stack active..png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Are both your before and after screenshots at 100% zoom?

As mentioned in my earlier post, any other zoom is blended using 8 bit previews, and star fields are one of the image types that does show that difference.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes still occurs at 100%.  Not as big a difference but still noticeable especially full sized on a calibrated monitor.  Here are two screenshots of the same rectangle at 100%.  Final prints show the difference also .

100% with Layers.png

100% Flattened.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Yes I can see the difference between those two images - If you put each into the same document, align them and set the blending mode to difference it highlights where the differences are.

Do you want to PM me a link to a PSD and I will take a look here to see if I can see what is happening. If nothing else it will prove the issue on another system if it needs to be raised as a bug

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dave

From what I can see changes from the darks slider are not being fully included in the flattened image.  Now that I am aware of the the issue I have had success just compensating for it. 

This image is from a test series I did with a star tracker I have on loan.  You are welcome to play around with it a bit.  The process I was using was a levels adjustment; darks slider to the right, whites to the left & mid tones as needed.  Just making the Milky Way stand out a bit.  Then new layer from visible, then gaussian blur (18 pixels for this image) and set the new layer to soft light.  Creates a glow effect. 

Here is a link to a version that has basic processing in Lightroom:

Adobe Creative Cloud

Joe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for posting the link.

I have tried your steps exactly and I do not get the difference.

All these are at 100%

1 - The image with a fairly aggressive levels adjustment

2. As above but Ctrl + Shift + Alt + E to merge visible to new layer

I checked this against the first by dropping the screenshots into a new document as two layers with blending mode difference - they are identical.

3. Gaussian Blur 18px and Soft light applied to the merged visible layer (this obviously is different)

4. All flattened - this is the same as 3 (confirmed by dropping screenshot into a separate doc with blending mode difference)

So I am not able to replicate your problem here using CC2017.0.1 on Windows 10 with an AMD 7970 3G video card (all calibrated and profiled).

However, whilst doing this I saw your image is in ProPhoto. I recall discussing an issue a while back where the GPU on certain video cards showed an issue with Prophoto particularly in dark areas.

As an experiment can you try repeating your test in ARGB with GPU enabled and in ProPhoto with GPU disabled to see if that is the issue you are getting

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Including D Fosse to see if he recalls the issue with Prophoto on certain cards and whether it may relate to the above problem being experienced by Joe - but which I cannot replicate

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dave

Thanks for doing all that.  It could be a Mac vs Windows thing, it could be color space it could be many things.  I'm not really interested in pursuing it any further.  At this point I am just going to leave it as is.  I know what happens and how to compensate for it.  I'm comfortable doing that.  Thanks though, I didn't know about the 8 bit previews.  Viewing at 100% did make a difference.  I learned something today.

Hope you have a great day.

Joe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No problem - good look with the images

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I assume this is resolved. With this type of images you have to stay religiously in 100% view, and not stray for a second, or you'll get misleading previews.

The ProPhoto bug is unrelated to this. It caused shadow color and/or luminance banding, when the GPU was set to Normal or Advanced modes. It was apparently caused by rounding errors in OpenGL code. I havent seen it for a while.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 03, 2017 Feb 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Dag - I was trying to understand what might be causing an issue when merging/flattening on Joe's system (at 100% view) that I could not replicate on mine - even though we were starting with the same image.

That is why I wondered about different GPU acceleration errors.  He seems happy to leave it for now.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines