• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lr5 shows wrong color for imported sRGB photos

Community Beginner ,
Jan 31, 2017 Jan 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Windows 7 x64 SP1 Home Premium, Lightroom (Lr) 5.7.1, camera Lumix TZ7 (Panasonic DMC-TZ7).
Camera takes photos in sRGB. I installed Lr5 to try it.

I imported photos and after editing and export (to sRGB), I found out that colors are different in other programs.

I 've read some forums/articles to find solution. I re-calibrate monitor w/ Spyder3 and created new monitor color profile.

Colors in Lr5 changed a little bit but still big difference w/ other SW.

I use usually SW for photos: Gimp 2.8.18, DPP 4.4.30.2 (Digital Photo Professional 4, Canon)

All my SW is set to work in sRGB color space and until Lr5 I have no issue w/ colors. Exported photos looks ok on all devices.

What I'm doing wrong or is there bug in Lr5?

[Pic. left: Lr5, right: Gimp]

issue.Lr5.compare.Gimp-754.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Feb 14, 2017 Feb 14, 2017

Your standard gamut monitor is close to sRGB gamut. If the sRGB color profile is working then you can use it for now with good results until a monitor calibrator can be obtained.

EDIT

I  just checked the Dell 2407WFP-HC specifications at TFT Central and its gamut is closer to the Adobe RGB color profile (90%). You will need to assign the Adobe RGB color profile and NOT sRGB for the best color match.

Dell 2407WFP-HC Review

Another option is to download the ICM color profile available on the TFT Cent

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom works in a wider color space, more like Prophoto. This could be one contributing factor. What other software are you using besides Gimp to look at your images?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 01, 2017 Feb 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I already said: DPP4. And some non-color managed viewers like XnView.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's highly unlikely that LR is showing you the wrong thing. Are you sure gimp is set up to color manage correctly? If I remember correctly from years ago, you have to actually point it to the correct icc profile for your monitor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm, you can check forums here or google to see how many issues are w/ colors in Lr or Ps.
I changed my color profile for monitor - I used Spyder3 for it. (as I already noted).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another possibility is experimenting with Camera Calibration profile in Lightroom. This can have a big impact on perceived color. The Camera Calibration panel is at the bottom of the Develop Module. If it is currently set to Adobe Standard, then try changing it to Camera Standard see if that helps.  This only impacts the color seen on the screen while in Lightroom.

Lightroom001.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is only 1 option: Profile: Embedded. What does it mean?

issue.Lr5.Profile-Embedded.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It means that you are probably looking at a JPEG file. The JPEG file will  have the profile "embedded" that was chosen in the camera. That doesn't happen with raw images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JimHess  napsal(a):

It means that you are probably looking at a JPEG file. The JPEG file will have the profile "embedded" that was chosen in the camera. That doesn't happen with raw images.

Yes, my camera makes JPEG files. I want to use Lr for them. I guess it's possible. Lr supports JPEG files as input, doesn't it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure what your question is, really. Of course Lightroom imports and allows you to work on JPEG images. It's just that most people find they are able to obtain better results by shooting raw because there are other controls available that are not available when shooting JPEG. Specifically, there is no ability to choose different camera profiles when shooting JPEG images. And there is greater capability to recover highlights and shadows in raw images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

martin-a wrote:

I changed my color profile for monitor - I used Spyder3 for it

Is there an option in the Spyder software where you can choose either creating a version 2 or version 4 ICC profile ?

Lightoom has a problem with version 4 profiles, so if you used that option, recalibrate using version 2,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Per Berntsen  napsal(a):

martin-a wrote:

I changed my color profile for monitor - I used Spyder3 for it

Is there an option in the Spyder software where you can choose either creating a version 2 or version 4 ICC profile ?

Lightoom has a problem with version 4 profiles, so if you used that option, recalibrate using version 2,

How to check ver of ICC profile? I ran the sw once only , I don't know if it can show ver of icc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How to check ver of ICC profile? I ran the sw once only , I don't know if it can show ver of icc.

It's probably ver 2.4 (0x2400000)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DPP, xnview and gimp do not by default color manage using your display profile. So they will not show you the correct color. You have to turn it on in their preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jao vdL  napsal(a):

DPP, xnview and gimp do not by default color manage using your display profile. So they will not show you the correct color. You have to turn it on in their preferences.

Gimp and DPP are set to use color profiles (in pref), they are color managed sw. XnView probably isn't, so let's skip it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

May I ask someone from Adobe to review my question?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The icc version number will be an option in the calibration process, so to find out, you would have to recalibrate.

Also follow the advice given by jao vdL and make sure color management is enabled in the apps you use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Per Berntsen  napsal(a):

The icc version number will be an option in the calibration process, so to find out, you would have to recalibrate.

Also follow the advice given by jao vdL and make sure color management is enabled in the apps you use.

I cannot re-run calibration, I had to return hw for calibration. But I would say it's ver 2.4. If it's critical, pls tell me how to check ICC ver? I used ICC Profile Inspector and it says 0x240000. (that's way I think it's 2.4).
I already answered reg. my Gimp and DPP, both are set to use color management.

Could be issue w/ how Lr read embedded profile in my jpg photos?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not familiar with the ICC Profile Inspector, but I think ICC profiles are either version 2.2 or 4.2 (although I could be wrong).

But to establish whether there's a problem with your monitor profile or not, try setting it to sRGB (or Adobe RGB if you have a wide gamut monitor). If this fixes the problem, the monitor profile is defective (or the wrong version).

Go to Control Panel > Color management.

Add the sRGB profile, then set it as Default profile. See screenshot below.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Per Berntsen  napsal(a):

I'm not familiar with the ICC Profile Inspector, but I think ICC profiles are either version 2.2 or 4.2 (although I could be wrong).

But to establish whether there's a problem with your monitor profile or not, try setting it to sRGB (or Adobe RGB if you have a wide gamut monitor). If this fixes the problem, the monitor profile is defective (or the wrong version).

Go to Control Panel > Color management.

Add the sRGB profile, then set it as Default profile. See screenshot below.

Yes, I did it.

issue.Lr5.sRGB.space.for.monitor-2.jpg

Now, the colors are different than before but the same in Lr and Gimp.
issue.Lr5.sRGB.space.for.monitor-Lr.vs.Gimp.jpg

I have already tried this excercise, so I know this not last step. What now?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This means that the monitor profile was either corrupted/defective, or it was a version 4 profile, which LR doesn't like.

As far as I know, the older Spyders don't have a good reputation, so if I were you, I'd buy a new calibrator, and make sure to use a version 2 profile.

Until then, I would use the sRGB profile.

From what I can tell, your monitor is somewhere between standard gamut and wide gamut, so using sRGB should be OK, and the colors that you now see should be close to correct.

If your photos in LR now look wrong, you have to edit them so that they look right.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need to go back to Spyder/DELL profile until I have new 2.0-Matrix icc. (DELL is my original profile)
Currently I use DPP4 for jpg photos but it has very few features for jpg (than for raw), so I'm looking for replacement for jpg photos. If not icc issue fixed, I cannot use Lr. 17 days remain for testing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 02, 2017 Feb 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

martin-a wrote:

I need to go back to Spyder/DELL profile until I have new 2.0-Matrix icc. (DELL is my original profile)

I get the impression that you borrowed the Spyder from someone, and had to return it.

Until you can recalibrate with upgraded software and/or a new calibrator, stick with sRGB, it shoudn't be far off.

It's much better to have a known, good profile that roughly matches your screens' color gamut than a calibration profile that there is clearly something wrong with.

Would be helpful to upg to Lr6 ?

No, it wouldn't make any difference whatsoever. The problem is the monitor profile, not Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

martin-a wrote:

issue.Lr5.sRGB.space.for.monitor-Lr.vs.Gimp.jpg

You've confirmed there is a compatibility issue with the Spyder 3 display profile and LR. The next step is to check the Spyder 3 calibrration software Preferences for Profile Type. Select 'Matrix' (not LUT) and ICC v2 (not v4). You may need to go into the Advanced mode or whatever Datacolor calls it. If these settings are not available I suggest checking the Datacolor website for the later version of the software and install it. If the issue persists then your only option is to use the sRGB profile (not the vest choice) or purchase a newer monitor calibrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

trshaner  napsal(a):

martin-a wrote:

You've confirmed there is a compatibility issue with the Spyder 3 display profile and LR. The next step is to check the Spyder 3 calibrration software Preferences for Profile Type. Select 'Matrix' (not LUT) and ICC v2 (not v4). You may need to go into the Advanced mode or whatever Datacolor calls it. If these settings are not available I suggest checking the Datacolor website for the later version of the software and install it. If the issue persists then your only option is to use the sRGB profile (not the vest choice) or purchase a newer monitor calibrator.

That looks like useful info. Thanks.
I can run only SW part of Spyder3 - I found that default (my profile) is ver 2.0.
There is nothing like Matrix/LUT in setting, there is only:

Chromatic Adaption mode: Bradford (or XYZ Scaling) - any idea if this is Matrix? I have read some articles and it should be. (source:  ICC Profile Conversion Intents )

Maybe I will try to get newer calibrator. Or use some sw-only calibration. The goal is 2.0-Matrix icc. The exact colors are not important in this step, just to check if Lr will be happy w/ such icc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines