• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Layers Panel is disabled

New Here ,
Feb 01, 2017 Feb 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I opened a TIFF file in PS CC and everything in the layers panel is disabled.  I cannot select the one and only layer, all the controls are grayed out.  I can do nothing with layers.  When I go to the Layer dropdown menu, almost everything is grayed out.  I can't even create another layer.

Could it be related to the fact that this file is a large 22610 x 10000 pixel, indexed color 8 bits/channel image?  I opened another similar file and am having the same problem with it.  But, I am able to open other, much smaller, TIFF files and they act normally.

I searched through the forum and didn't uncover anyone else who was having this problem.

Any ideas what may be causing this, and what I can do about it?

Thanks,

Ken

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 01, 2017 Feb 01, 2017

harleygnuya wrote:

Could it be related to the fact that this file is a large 22610 x 10000 pixel, indexed color 8 bits/channel image? I opened another similar file and am having the same problem with it. But, I am able to open other, much smaller, TIFF files and they act normally.

Thanks,

Ken

Not the size - but the indexed colour. Change it to RGB mode (Image - Mode - RGB Color) and all will be well

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I forgot to mention that when I try to use the Straighten Layer function of the ruler, I get an error message, "The command 'Set' is not currently available."  Could this be related to the fact that I don't have the layer selected (because I can't select layers)?  (This is what led me to discover that the Layers panel was disabled.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

harleygnuya wrote:

Could it be related to the fact that this file is a large 22610 x 10000 pixel, indexed color 8 bits/channel image? I opened another similar file and am having the same problem with it. But, I am able to open other, much smaller, TIFF files and they act normally.

Thanks,

Ken

Not the size - but the indexed colour. Change it to RGB mode (Image - Mode - RGB Color) and all will be well

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Dave!  That was it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 21, 2024 Feb 21, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I did that and Layers is still grayed out.  Why?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines