• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Pen Tool stopped making selection on mask

New Here ,
Feb 01, 2017 Feb 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Help, I worked yesterday with no problem until late. Doing basic solid color layer masks, inverted to hide color. Using the pen tool to select areas and delete parts of the mask.

Solid color layer >command I - to invert, use the pen tool to outline desired area, > Command Return to select, > Delete to open up to the color below. Deselect when completed. I had no trouble, saved the final piece. When I began a new project, after the pen tools outline was selected, could no longer get the outlined area to delete the mask. I have tried going back to the original image to do a test to see if it works there, but does not. I have checked all the settings I can think of and reset/restarted and reset preferences. I am at a loss. Could I have hit a shortcut by accident?? Or there is a setting I am not aware of. I was hoping if I moved something accidentally, resetting preferences would fix it. Please see my screen shot below.

Thanks! Stephanie

Screen Shot 2017-02-01 at 1.17.24 PM.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 01, 2017 Feb 01, 2017

A mask can't be transparent - only black/white or shades of gray.

On a mask therefore,  hitting delete fills the mask with the background colour (which is black by default). So you are filling the selection with black - on a black mask. If you want to fill it with white, using delete, click and reverse the Foreground/Background

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A mask can't be transparent - only black/white or shades of gray.

On a mask therefore,  hitting delete fills the mask with the background colour (which is black by default). So you are filling the selection with black - on a black mask. If you want to fill it with white, using delete, click and reverse the Foreground/Background

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave,

Thank you! I knew that but didn't even think of it.

Stephanie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You're welcome

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines