• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"Use Legacy"

Explorer ,
Feb 01, 2017 Feb 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way within the Brightness / Contrast, control to always have "Use Legacy" checked ? 

I am running CS6, under Windows 10.

I understand that Adobe has made some improvements within this command that they recommending I use, but I never use the Brightness / Contrast, command for making any adjustments to photos, and only ever use it for turning borders either white or black.

Since that cannot ( seemingly ), be achieved using within the new and improved Brightness / Contrast command ( moving the brighness toggle bar to the extreme left will only turn something that is white a moon gray - and not black ), I would like this function to be set permanently to its Legacy status.

How would I do this ?

Without going back to CS5, and believe me - with all the other improvements ( like the fiasco that is the new cropping system ),  I am tempted.

Thanks for any help / insight,

Sterne

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 01, 2017 Feb 01, 2017

Hi

Now that I can see what you are trying to do :

Select the area you want

Shift + Ctr+ I to invert selection

Layer -  Fill layer with Solid Color set to black

Doing it this way you can adjust the mask later if required, to resize or reposition it, and you can change the fill from black to white (or any other colour ) later if you wish.

You could also add an adjustment layer between those layers so you can adjust your image without affecting the border

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sterne200 schrieb:

... but I never use the Brightness / Contrast, command for making any adjustments to photos, and only ever use it for turning borders either white or black.

To achieve pure black or white, have you ever tried Image > Adjustments > Threshold?

Fenja

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fenja,

Thank you. I never did use but just tried. The problem is - with what I am doing ( SEE BELOW ) test1.jpgtest2.jpg

Is taking these scannings, and then drawing a rectangle around the live area ( inverting it so everything else but the

live area is selected ), and then turning it black, so that I wind up with what you see on the right.

So the problem with Threshold is, that it will only make the black blacker and the white whiter, it will not enable me to turn both the

white and the black black.

Of course, Brightness / Contrast no longer will either - unless I remember ( each and everytime I open it ) to check Legacy.

An annoyance I was hoping to avoid.

S

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Now that I can see what you are trying to do :

Select the area you want

Shift + Ctr+ I to invert selection

Layer -  Fill layer with Solid Color set to black

Doing it this way you can adjust the mask later if required, to resize or reposition it, and you can change the fill from black to white (or any other colour ) later if you wish.

You could also add an adjustment layer between those layers so you can adjust your image without affecting the border

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know a way to keep legacy checked in Brightness and Contrast.

Have you thought of using curves - it is very quick to slide and set a  black or white point - or you can even use the eyedropper within curves to click in image and set it.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave,

Thanks, yes, I guess. I also just tried "Exposure" which also seems to achieve what I want.

Now I just have to retrain myself from a process I have probably done some 25,000 times, to accommodate another "Improvement".

Too bad there doesn't seem to be any way around the $#!tstorm they made out of the cropping feature.

What's that saying, if it ain't broke..... ?

Thanks for our reply in every case,

S

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I like it.

Especially the Ctrl - I

I am so slow to utilize those.

S

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Remember it is Shift + Ctrl + I to invert the selection,     just Ctrl + I will invert the layer image on the layer within the selection

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines