Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Index a list of words in the end of a long document

Explorer ,
Feb 02, 2017 Feb 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.

How can I make an Index of a list of 600 words in the end of a long document, without having to add them to the index one by one, it would take a very long time!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Mentor , Feb 02, 2017 Feb 02, 2017

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if you know what they are, do you have them in some form already? are they a unique paragraph/character style?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes, I have a list of words separated by (^b) and have them in one style.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

my first thought would be to use the table of contents options, perverse as that might seem (layout > Table of contents). it'll gather up all text in a particular style for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've personally [not in the public domain] another approach inspired from Martin Fischer's script "IndexFromCharacterStyle_MartinFischer.jsx".

After putting the cursor in the future Index story, from a words list, the script applies a condition to all these words (less risky than a char style) in the main document and creates topics. It just finishes by the index generation!

(^/) For idea!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes well i misunderstood,  and the words that I have to have an index on I have a list of them, but I need to an Index to fint them all within the long text, and in the long text they are not in a separate style, so Table of Contents will not work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

http://www.indiscripts.com/post/2011/02/introducing-indexmatic-2-beta

Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. © David Blatner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

can this be used for Indesign CC (2017)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

seems like this program does the thing I'm after, to bad Indesign does not have this by default. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines