Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Masks Not Drawing Correctly and Mask Manipulation Not Working

Explorer ,
Feb 02, 2017 Feb 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I've had this problem for quite a while now, and I'm absolutely fed up by it. Every time I draw a simple mask on any layer, solid, footage whatever, it will not allow me to create a proper bezier curve while drawing the mask, it just created a super tiny one that I can barely even see. AND to make matters worse, when I try and manipulate the mask that is drawn, I can't even rotate it when I've double clicked on it, it just scales it instead of rotating it. I do a lot of mask manipulation on a daily basis for ROTO to Animation so this is crucial for me and is driving me insane. Anyone have any advice?

PC Info: 6 core 3.4GHZ

64 GB RAM

(2) GTX 780 SLI on and off (doesn't matter)

Windows 7

AE - Latest update, but have has issues with the past years worth of updates.

Video Capture of Issue: ScreenCapture0006_1 on Vimeo

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I could not make out much of the screen recording. this could be a user error, maybe you are doing it wrong I am not sure.

Every time I draw a simple mask on any layer, solid, footage whatever, it will not allow me to create a proper bezier curve while drawing the mask, it just created a super tiny one that I can barely even see.

when you draw your mask, you won't see bezier handles unless you click to add a vertex+hold+drag

001.gif

if you want to convert a vertex to bezier you can press Ctrl+Alt and see the bezier sign. this will change a vertex from linear to bezier and vice versa

056.gif

if you want to manipulate the mask shape you can do this by double clicking - this will select the mask path, or as long as your mask is selected (2 or more vertices) you can press Ctrl+T and if you set your cursor to the side you can see the rotate sign and rotate it.

055.gif

try these steps and see if this is behaving different for you. this could be a preferences or software bug but we need to be sure. if this does not work then provide the full Ae version numbers next time.

and BTW, for Roto work you may want to use the rotobezier feature which automatically create each vertex as bezier with no handles.

053385.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Roei, thanks you for the response, I can assure you this is not user error, if you double click on a mask it takes it to transform mode automatically, when I then try to rotate when the rotate icon is present in literally scales it in one axis instead of rotating. It's really odd. As for drawing the masking, I am clicking and holding to bring up the bezie options, however it locks the bezie curve right after I click and start to drag. So basically it makes a very tiny bezie curve.

Mylenium, It's an interesting idea about the mouse configuration, I hadn't even considered that. I'll try changing some of my settings and see if that has any effect. My screen capture software is really crappy too so that might have something to do with that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, my AE version number is 14.1.0.57

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have seen display problems before when moving masks but if your AE is up to date this should not be a problem. I cannot reproduce the problem on my 4 different macs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see. you never know a user's experience here in the forums, so thanks for clearing that out.

I suspect a corrupt preferences or hardware like M suggested. try resetting your Ae preferences. here's how: Reset After Effects Preferences

also, does this happen in other versions? if you are a CC subscriber you can use previous versions. this could help pin point the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Roei, thanks for the suggestion. I will scrap the preferences when I get back home this evening, as I don't believe I have tried this.

It's a weird issue because I have almost the exact same set-up at work hardware and software wise and I have never had an issue here.

This was an issue in older versions as well, which leads me to believe maybe it is in fact my mouse or something on that end? I will try updating the drivers on my mouse and try a few other different mice I have and try to eliminate that if it is in fact an issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was an issue in older versions as well, which leads me to believe maybe it is in fact my mouse or something on that end?

Yep, I would say this is most likely the cause for this. Mylenium knows his stuff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well unfortunately I tried a couple different mice and tried messing with my settings for them and had no such luck.

I also cleared my preferences which also was not the culprit.

I decided to test when exactly this started happening, and it indeed started at CC 2015. CC 2014 I have no problems at all. Any ideas? It must be graphics related then I would assume or some sort of compatibility?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 03, 2017 Feb 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this one is Very puzzling

if you tried different hardware then let's go back to software: updating Mouse driver and GPU through the manufacturer site would be my next attempt. Also run over your installed programs and look for any software that could be hijacking your mouse/keyboard. anything that could interfere with a fresh install of AE is a suspect (re-install with no scripts or plugins and fresh preferences).

If all fails, I would contact costumer service and have a remote desktop session.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Judging from the twitchy nature of your cursor movement I'd say you simply have to configure your input device properly. If you use a tablet, it's sensitivity could simply be too high or too low or the dection distance when it's not in full contact with the pen be set too short. If it's a mouse, you may want to check the laser sensor and try a different surface to use it on just as you might to ckeck the button configuration.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 03, 2017 Mar 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Cory,

Sorry that you have not resolved this issue yet. Please work with our agents, and then report back with the results. If you need added assistance, please let us know so we can escalate your case.

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines