• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Every video I render has a black background

Community Beginner ,
Feb 02, 2017 Feb 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whenever I do an animation in AE, I can select any color I please and it changes to that color. Although, when I go to render it, the background is always black.

Does anybody have clues as to why this might be so?

Thankyou hugely in advance! Regards, Scott

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Guide , Feb 02, 2017 Feb 02, 2017

Changing background color you are changing only preview window background color. If you wish to make different background color - just make a solid layer with color of your chosing.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Changing background color you are changing only preview window background color. If you wish to make different background color - just make a solid layer with color of your chosing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 18, 2022 Jan 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does not work. Insructions are too complicated for this. Where's the simple step-by-step anywhere? So far, the results I've found via searching around the web are that this is more complicated than it should be. Suppose it's to keep jobs as graphic designers secure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only reason to ever change the background color of a composition is if you are planning to render with an alpha channel pre-multiplied against the new background color. This is a very odd thing to do and only folks expert in compositing would ever need this feature.

After Effects always calculates an alpha channel. If you do not choose to render to a format that supports alpha channels then the "alpha" will always render as black. It is always this way. It always has been and there is no good reason to change it.

As imeilfx said, if you want a solid color you have to add some pixels to the comp in the form of a shape layer or a solid.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 28, 2021 Oct 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Absolutely wrong! The only time an artist needs to change the background color is when the artist decides the background color is incorrect. I am experiencing this problem now, trying to render compositions out of AE to import into Premiere. No matter what choice I make I end up with the black background that I don't want. I am trying to composite in Premiere - it is our pipeline and I have to adhere to it - HOW THE HECK DO I GET RID OF THE BLACK BACKGROUND?! This is outrageous. An alpha channel should be BY DEFAULT unfilled with any color. It is supposed to be empty, specifically for compositing. I make titles in AE to import into Premiere, and now I have a dozen titles with freakin' black backgrounds that I can't get rid of. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 28, 2021 Oct 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unless you put pixels in the background, the background is transparent. Almost all codecs always render transparent areas as black unless you are rendering to a format that supports RGBA, in other words, alpha channels.

If you want colored backgrounds to add a layer with the color. A solid or a shape layer is the easiest solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 11, 2021 Nov 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue.   Haven't ran into this issue before.  As far as I know, I did nothing to alter the Alpha Channel...  There is definitely no solid layer and I am working off a Photoshop file that I created.  Seems to be a bug.. looks like I'm going to have to try to open the Comp to a New Project File, or start over from scratch.  Very aggravating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 06, 2022 Apr 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The last time i imported a file with a colored background it imported it with that color. Now I can't have any colored background but black.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines