Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Nikon D610 import quality grainy + Sierra Update

New Here ,
Feb 02, 2017 Feb 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All

I updated my MacBook Pro to the available Sierra. I think that was my first mistake. For months I've been importing photos into LR and all of a sudden they've become horrible and grainy. My camera is new - full frame and the SD is a 16GB ultra and i shoot in RAW + JPG.

The images are converted to an NEF which from what I read - just a Nikon RAW file. Landscapes appear ok but portraits are HORRIBLE quality and after editing it's barely better. I don't know what's wrong???  Haaaaaalp......?

I don't know if this is just because of the Sierra update or LR or ...... I don't know

This is an edited shot and the original pic .... horrible and grainy - no detail whatsoever .... Anyone else experiencing this?A&N-9.JPG

Nana

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What software are you using when you view the exported photo?

What are your export settings under File Sizing and Sharpening?

Can you clarify something? Are you saying the original is horrible? Which of the two photos is the original, it looks to me like the top one is the original but your words "This is an edited shot and the original pic" don't really make that clear at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pic order was flipped when uploaded. Top is original & bottom is edited.

Imported direct from the SD card into LR.

i've limited the file size to 8MB when exporting. Original was 16MB. I had to zip to get it on here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No wonder the image is grainy, it was taken at ISO 10159. That's a very high ISO setting, which will produce a lot of noise.

Sharpening makes the image look even worse, because the noise is sharpened as well.

With a well lit scene like this you should use ISO 100 or 200, which will give you much better quality, and very little noise.

At ISO 100, the exposure would have been something like 1/250 second at f/8.

The high ISO probably forced you to stop down to f/22, which also affects quality in a bad way (diffraction).

Most lenses perform best in the f/8 - f/11 range.

high-iso.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No wonder the image is grainy, it was taken at ISO 10159.

How did you arrive at this conclusion?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By saving the image posted by the OP and importing it in Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can also see the image metadata by right clicking the image in my Opera browser, and use the Image Properties extension.

There are probably similar extensions available for other web browsers.

opera-image-properties.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is from Bridge.

ISO 10159.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

TeekayAU wrote:

For months I've been importing photos into LR and all of a sudden they've become horrible and grainy. My camera is new - full frame and the SD is a 16GB ultra and i shoot in RAW + JPG.

As pointed out by

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yeah this has nothing to do with your operating system or Lightroom. This is actually very little noise for ISOs higher than 10000. You're probably shooting with auto-ISO enabled and you have way too high of a shutter speed and a far too high f-stop set for this scene and focal length. ISO 100, f/11 and 1/200s would be correct for a directly sunlit scene (sunny 16 rule) and you can probably overexpose a stop from that as your main subject is in the shade. So you get f/11 1/100s. Your f/22 1/2500s is 6 1/2 stops down from that, which forced your auto-ISO setting to go up by 6 1/2 stops to an ISO setting it would normally only have to do in the almost completely dark.

Auto-ISO is great and can help you not having to think about it too much while shooting but you should probably shoot in aperture or shutter priority mode using a reasonable f-stop (f/8 is probably fine for this) and shutter speed (1/100s is fine here at these wide focal lengths) instead of whatever mode you were using (manual probably).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines